ACDI / VOCA
Vacancy Announcement: Grants Officer
Background: The Resilience Learning Activity (RLA) is a five-year, USAID-funded initiative (2019-2024) that supports regional, national, and local organizations and institutions in Northern Kenya, Somalia, and the Horn of Africa to undertake analysis while strengthening their capacities for analytics;
Facilitating learning for adaptive management; and improving knowledge management and communication to align with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance and the Horn of Africa.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Grant Officer will report directly to the Grants Manager and will be based in Nairobi with significant travel to the field.
The Grants Officer will be responsible for managing a portfolio of grants, from pre-award to close out.
He/she will monitor all grant and subcontract implementation activities to ensure compliance with ACDI/VOCA and donor guidelines and budget.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume responsibility for overall oversight and support to all aspects of the Associate awards grants.
- Propose revisions to grant processes and procedures based upon experience and lessons learned and coordinate proposed changes with the Grants Director.
- Participate in pre-award assessments, assist in logging in and review of all grant applications.
- Coordinate grant application review process; Ensure all evaluation forms are duly filled in, and take minutes of Proposal evaluation meetings.
- Work with selected grantees to ensure budgets are in line with program activities and that costs are reasonable, allowable and allocable.
- Conduct due diligence assessments for prospective grantees. Evaluate environmental requirements and document negotiation process for all prospective grantees.
- Prepare award documents for review by the Grants Manager and approval by relevant parties. This will include Pre award assessment report, sub recipients’ agreements, negotiation memorandums and modification documents among others.
- Conduct post-award trainings for both sub-recipients and grantees under the award related to grants administration, applicable donor regulations and reporting requirements.
- Monitor and track grantee expenditures in line with ACDI/VOCA and partnering organization procurement policies and standards.
- Process sub awardee and subcontract payments/reimbursement, maintain tracking schedules of sub recipients’ payments, expenses and reconciliations.
- Identify sub-recipient/grantee capacity building needs and provide technical assistance where needed and trainings to assure compliance.
- Assist in providing ongoing training and support to grantees to ensure compliance and good fiscal discipline.
- Conduct grantee site visits as appropriate including financial monitoring of grants and cost share to ensure proper accounting of grant funds awarded.
- Maintain complete and accurate files for all sub-recipient/grant files.
- Input and analysis of grants data to the Sub Award Management System (SAMS) while assuring integrity of data.
- Ensure timely and proper close out of grants. This will involve preparing relevant close-out documents for approval to include disposition documentation, modification agreements on close out where appropriate, close out checklists, release of liability documentation etc.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for grant activities under Leader that feed into the overall program report.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the program’s annual work plans.
- Support Finance team with other grants Finance sector activities.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance, economics or relevant field.
- At least CPA Part II.
- A minimum of five years related experience in grants, subcontracts, procurement, and compliance with donor regulations (assistance and acquisition).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge and application of best practices in grant management. Ability to manage the grants process life cycle using current methodologies and analytical techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID financial and management systems, regulations and reporting requirements. Evidence of ability to be creative and flexile within those requirements. Thorough knowledge and experience with USAID rules and regulations, and with current standards and guidelines with regarding to contracts and grants. Expert with FAR & AIDAR as applicable to subcontracting and procurement
- Knowledge of grants management software and information technology skills.
- Ability to independently develop amendments and modifications as a result of negotiations
- Proven ability to design and develop successful and achievable project-related grants.
Management and Communications
- Ability to communicate technical, budgetary and program details to staff, grantees and applicants.
- Ability to design and implement effective workflow processes and procedures.
- Capability to foster an atmosphere which recognizes and respects cultural and individual differences.
- The ability to apply the clauses and negotiate without management or legal support
- Excellent critical thinking skills and judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions.
- Proven ability to analyze large amounts of data, identify trends, and use information to create/improve processes.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as thorough familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Sound judgement with regards to budget and program issues.
- Ability to travel independently.
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than October 14, 2022.
In the subject line, please include the position title.