ACDI / VOCA
Job Opportunity: Project Accountant
Feed the Future USAID Kenya Livestock Market Systems Activity (LMS) is a Leader with Associates (LWA) Mechanism that is based on the premise that through collective action; expanded and viable economic opportunities; strengthened formal and informal institutions, systems, and governance; and improved human capital will strengthen people’s resilience in the face of shocks and stresses and can reduce the prevalence and depth of poverty, household hunger, and chronic under-nutrition.
LMS plans to mitigate the effects of the ongoing drought in northern Kenya targeting six counties of Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit, Samburu, Turkana, and Wajir to save the development gains and stimulate market-based solutions to protect livelihoods and small and medium-sized enterprises.
This is part of activity’s strategy of ensuring it remains responsive to market system changes.
Summary: The accountant is responsible for the implementation of accounting tasks, policies, and procedures for the USAID-funded ACDI/VOCA programs, including but not limited to the responsibilities outlined below.
The position will be based in Nairobi and reporting to the Finance Director
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Oversee financial transactions, activities and monitor financial compliance with ACDI VOCA and USAID requirements.
- Manage the Nolan payroll system. Make monthly payroll inputs into the system, prepare the payroll variance reconciliation and all taxable benefits
- Prepare payroll statutory deduction payments including calculating, withholding, and recording all applicable income taxes and other social payments based on Kenyan tax rules and other ACDI VOCA discretionary benefits.
- Prepare accounting vouchers (vendor vouchers), ensure that all supporting documentation (invoices and receipts) are attached, and the correct account & project codes used.
- Review vendor payments and verify that every release of funds is backed-up by adequate supporting documents (e.g., quotes, invoice, delivery notes) and has been authorized before submitting to Chief of Party (COP) or other authorized signatory.
- Record vendor vouchers/payments and petty cash vouchers in the QuickBooks accounting system and ensure that the transactions are properly coded per the ACDI VOCA chart of Accounts.
- Record payroll transactions for regional staff and shared pool staff monthly and prepare payroll reconciliations before month close.
- Withhold withholding tax and VAT from vendor payments and remit the same to Kenya Revenue Authority as per the Act.
- Prepare cost share allocation schedule using data from the vehicle logs and pass journal entries to allocate costs charged to the pool.
- Review and verify cash disbursements from petty cash and record the same on QuickBooks.
- Prepare monthly balance Sheet reconciliation and ensure that unreconciled items are actioned latest the following month.
- Notify the Director of Finance and/or COP in writing about any concerns, risks or misuse of resources and report any illegitimate expenses, misuse of funds or other false financial claims.
- Keep all sensitive program financial information confidential.
- Perform other finance related duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
- CPA/ACCA or equivalent certification.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in financial management or equivalent.
- Sufficient knowledge of accounting standards and government of Kenya tax laws and regulations.
- Good administrative and organizational skills; record keeping and filling systems.
- Good problem solver, self-starter and innovative, good communication, leadership, and reporting skills.
- Experience with USAID project procedures, policies and compliance requirements are highly preferred.
- A strong command on Microsoft Office Word, Excel, QuickBooks, and other relevant computer applications.
- Fluency in English required.
Qualified candidates should submit their applications to HRKenya@acdivoca.org by 21st October 2022 indicating the position in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.