Associate Procurement at Evidence Action
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global non-profit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation. Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
The Associate, Procurement will be a key member of the FAO Team, providing strategic oversight and planning of the dispenser hardware supply chain. The incumbent is required to support the procurement activities in the Nairobi Office.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Associate Manager, Operations the Associate, Procurement provides administrative support in the management of a variety of processes/transactions in implementing procurement and contracting of commodities, materials, equipment and services for the Nairobi EA Office, ensuring high-quality and accuracy of work. The incumbent will use their own discretion to address unforeseen situations, seeking advice from and/or reporting to the supervisor as applicable. The Associate, Procurement will liaise with heads of departments in order to ensure the best support, all while promoting a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Duties and responsibilities
a) Procurement Operations:
- Supervise the casual staff in the procurement department ensuring the department activities are conducted in accordance with the procurement policy and with utmost professionalism.
- Conduct local procurements and manage the entire procurement cycle, including but not limited to sourcing for bids, analysis, issue of Purchase orders, expediting orders, receipt of orders, inspection, verification of invoices and processing of payments.
- Ensure the procurement policy is adhered to for all purchases at Evidence Action and liaise with the Associate Manager of Operations for any revisions and updates needed.
- Reviewing invoices, delivery notes and purchase orders and initiating payment and facilitating timely payments.
- Creation and maintenance of preferred supplier list for Nairobi.
- Managing Inventory and Property registers for the organization as will be delegated by the Operations department.
- Taking up insurance covers for inventory and property within Nairobi & western Region while working with the Operations department.
- Prepare procurement status reports for Nairobi to reconcile with the overall country procurement plan and report on any deviation.
- In collaboration with the Associate Manager of Operations, support in enforcing the mainstreaming of procurement best practices across the organization to enhance the efficient and timely servicing of procurement requests.
- In collaboration with other procurement team members support the existing SOPs for procurement, recommend changes and once approved support in enforcing compliance of the same across the organization.
- Lead in the annual supplier prequalification process ensuring that the process is conducted professionally and in a timely manner and all documentation needed for the process is updated and supplier records are properly filled in an organized and efficient manner.
- Participate in the tendering processes to manage tender lists, manage the dispatch of tender documentation and quotations in accordance with the governing laws and coordinate responses to tender enquiries as appropriate.
- Maintain and Manage the NTSA portal on behalf of EA Kenya.
b) Procurement Documentation:
- Take charge of the necessary relevant procurement documents including but not limited to quotes, LPOs, supplier invoices, Supplier statements, Kenya revenue Pins, approved bank details, supplier contact info and any other documentation that may be required and hand over the same to the Finance team- Payables to support financial transactions between the organization and its suppliers.
- Maintain records to ensure that procurement process, decisions and contractual agreements are accurately documented for accountability and audit purposes.
- Ensure all payment requests are submitted in a timely manner and update the payment trackers on time
- Support the procurement team in the preparation of RFQs, and organizing and maintaining the box filling system for the Kenya procurement.
c) Vendor Management:
- Identify and negotiate with suppliers to ensure transparent and cost-effective sourcing
- Ensure that the vendors are compliant with the Organizational policies and procedures put in place. E.g. CSI Checks etc.
- Preparation of vendor contracts, amendments to existing contracts and other contract management requirements.
- Act as the focal person for communication with the Nairobi vendors on behalf of Evidence Action.
Key Performance Indicators
The key results have an impact on the execution of the Nairobi Office- Procurement Service management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry and financial information, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhance the Procurement Unit’s capability as an efficient department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Procurement or Supply chain management
- A minimum of 2 years experience having supported in a similar position/operations in an NGO set up.
- At least CIPS level 4 will be an added advantage,
- Membership of Kenya Institute of Supply Management
- Excellent knowledge of the local regulatory environment, including knowledge of customs clearance and importing processes.
- Knowledge and a strong understanding of the Public Procurement Act (2005) laws of Kenya.
- MUST be Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel and google suite applications.
The official working hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm from Monday to Friday. However, this job requires a flexible person as one may work beyond official working hours including weekends.
This job is not physically demanding but good physical and mental health are key.