Back-End Software Developer Vacancy at Synnefa,
Back-End Software Developer Vacancy at Synnefa
BACK-END SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Synnefa is a smart farming solutions company that has developed proprietary hardware and software solutions for farmers in Africa. The team has recently expanded from pure-play Ag hardware (smart greenhouses and irrigation systems) to a connected farming proposition that includes both off-grid IoT-enabled devices and a farm management dashboard.
Job Title: Back-End Software Developer
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
Primary working relations: Hardware, Firmware and Software Teams
Duty Station: Nairobi, Remote
Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Back End Developer to produce scalable software solutions. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment. As a Back End Developer, you should be comfortable around both front-end and back-end coding languages, development frameworks and third-party libraries. You should also be a team player with a knack for visual design and utility. If you’re also familiar with Agile methodologies and other software development technologies that enhance organizational technology stack, we’d like to meet you.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with development teams to ideate software solutions
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Maintain and upgrade software following deployment.
- Integrate 3rd party APIs to the application.
- Deploy code from GitHub to AWS EC2 using AWS CodeDeploy Service.
- Deployment of updates and fixes.
- Version Control
- Write effective APIs and evelop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Troubleshoot, review, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation and make technical decisions following best practices
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
Minimum Skills and Requirements
- Experience as a Back End Developer or similar role
- Proficiency in Python language and the Flask framework.
- Experience developing desktop and mobile applications
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL database, AWS RDS and web servers (e.g. Apache).
- Familiarity with AWS CodeDeploy Service for deploying from Github to AWS EC2.
- Familiarity with Docker and how to use it to deploy applications.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and be familiar with agile methodologies.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail and organizational skills.
- An analytical mind
- Degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering, Statistics or relevant field
Perks you may enjoy at Synnefa
- Competitive remuneration package : We benchmark with relevant market data to ensure that we offer the most attractive suitable remuneration.
- Hybrid work environment: We work at home, remotely & from our offices at Bishop Magua Center, Nairobi, optimizing for collaboration while providing flexibility to team members.
- 21 days of PTO and cheat days: We offer flexibility to allow people to relax and recharge.
- Build your ideal work setup: We encourage autonomy and ownership of tasks and believe in making mistakes and learning from them.
- Health benefits: Synnefa offers a competitive medical insurance package to all employees.
- Lunch benefits: We offer lunch benefits for teams working at the office and remotely.
- Employee Share Option Plan – ESOP: We offer a share option plan that gives employees the opportunity to invest in the business and acquire a stake in the company through equity participation and potentially make impressive returns.