Job Opening: Youth Senator
Position: Youth Senator
Duration: 3 Years
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
Job type: Voluntary and part-time
No. of vacancies: 33
Counties Vacant: Mombasa, Kwale, Kilifi, Tana River, Taita Taveta, Wajir, Mandera, Isiolo, Meru, Tharaka-Nithim Embu, Machakos, Makueni, Nyandarua, Nyeri, Turkana,West Pokot, Trans-Nzoia, Uasin Gishu, Elgeyo Marakwet, Nakuru, Narok, Kericho, Kakamega, Vihiga, Bungoma, Busia, Siaya, Homa Bay, Kisii, Kisumu, Nyamira and Nairobi
Youth Senate Kenya (YSK) is an independent, non-partisan development and advocacy youth-serving organization working towards a just, equitable and progressive society where young people fully enjoy their economic, social and political rights and opportunities. Founded in 2014, YSK was created specifically to spearhead a Youth-Led Development model in Kenya with a mandate to enrich a democratic dialogue and ensure youth engagement in national and regional affairs. We working on a youth leadership programme across the 47 Counties with the support of County Youth Senators with the aim to promote value-driven leadership for democratic governance. We have formed both a national and regional network of youth action partners whom we work with to advance a youth-led approach toward development.
In Kenya, Youth Senate has a presence in 47 Counties with County Youth Senators who work closely with the County Governments and County Assemblies in mainstreaming the youth agenda by influencing policies, legislation and institutional structures that work for youth advancement. We work to ensure the youth in Kenya’s voice is heard and contributes to the National development agenda.
The Youth Senator will have overall responsibility for the management, strategic planning, implementation, fundraising and reporting of the Youth Senate’s programs in the county. This role will oversee the implementation of youth policy influencing and advocacy initiatives, capacity development of young people and participation in County Youth Advisory Boards. S/he will be expected to establish and maintain systems for oversight and implementation of project activities, and contribute to reporting on technical activities and proposal development.
The specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Coordinate, plan, implement and monitor Youth Senate’s programs and projects at the county level;
- Advise the county government through the county executive member responsible for youth affairs on matters affecting and related to the youth and in the county generally;
- Formulate and advise on legal frameworks, policies and institutional structures within the county government to manage and promote youth-friendly policies and programs in the county;
- Articulate the special needs and aspirations of the youths in the county and discuss important county, national and regional youth issues with other Youth Senators at the Youth Senate Parliament;
- Represent Youth Senate-Kenya in Youth Advisory Committees, youth networks, alliances or groups in the respective county;
- Work with other CSOs and relevant institutions to advise on and carry out activities aimed at promoting the positive development and empowerment of youths within the county;
- Build capacity amongst the youth on their participation in civic and governance processes;
- Establish and oversee the operations of the County Youth Senate Executive Committee, Sub-county Youth Senate Executive Committee and other structures in the county;
- Raise necessary resources for the financing of activities and the execution of mandate;
- Attend and effectively participate in Youth Senate’s events, meetings and activities;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer and/or Board Members.
Successful candidates have strong project management and advocacy skills as well as leadership experience. Experience managing and building the capacity of youth is highly desired. A bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution is required in development studies, international development, political science, or a relevant discipline.
The relevant experience and skills required include:
- Be under the age of 35 at the time of accepting the position of Youth Senator;
- Experience in youth development, community engagement, youth programming and empowerment;
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, advocacy and ability to influence policies and provide policy advice;
- Strong coordination, project planning and skills in reporting on programs, monitoring and evaluation on a regular basis.
- Commitment to and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
- Excellent communication skills and computer, internet and social media skills;
- Demonstrated collaboration and team management skills;
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, problem-solving, conflict and ethical management skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Fluency in English and Swahili with superior written and verbal skills is essential.
- Analysis and Decision Making.
- Strategic planning and creative thinking.
- Planning and Organizing.
- Drive for Results.
- Collaboration and Teamwork.
- Leadership, Advocacy, Engagement and Influence.
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their applications by 8th September 2022. Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further action. The Youth Senate Kenya especially welcomes applications from young women, young persons with disabilities and youths from minority groups.