Position: County Finance Assistant
Supervisor: Country Finance and Administration Manager
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
No Required: 2 (1 Migori and 1 Homa Bay)
In 2021, USAID Kenya awarded Abt Associates, the Kenya Vector Control Activity, now renamed PMI Kinga Malaria.
It seeks to build on PMI investments under PMI AIRS and VectorLink.
The purpose of the project is to plan, implement, provide technical assistance for, monitor and evaluate critical malaria vector control activities.
This includes indoor residual spraying (IRS) and insecticide treated net (ITN) activities for prevention of malaria in Kenya.
The project has six objectives:
(1) indoor residual spraying and other proven vector control interventions,
(2) entomological monitoring and surveillance,
(3) ITN durability monitoring
(4) data driven decision making to inform strategic deployment of ITNs and IRS,
(5) capacity building of Kenya national malaria program and selected counties and
(6) continuous net distribution system in the community through multiple channels.
In 2023, Abt Associates shall implement IRS in Homa Bay and Migori Counties and in other counties thereafter as determined by USAID Kenya.
In close collaboration with the Division of National Malaria Program (DNMP), Migori and Homa Bay and Migori County governments, PMI Kinga Malaria seeks to recruit professionals in different fields to support in implementation of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) in all the Eight sub-counties in Homa Bay county namely; Homa Bay Township (All wards), Rangwe (All wards), Suba South (Ruma Kaksingri East ward only), Suba North (Mfangano island only), Rachuonyo South (All wards), Rachuonyo East (All wards), Ndhiwa (All except Kwabwai ward) and Rachuonyo North (All except Central Karachuonyo, Kibiri and Kanyaluo ward) and Four sub-counties in Migori county namely; Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike.
Overall, Purpose: The major purpose is to support the Country Finance and Administration Manager in collecting the required information from county sites for processing payment of sub-county spraying staff in addition to observing proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls in Sub-County field stations.
- Assist in developing a database of all field staff involved in the county spraying
- Ensuring that the daily work logs are completed and submitted by team leaders and supervisors.
- Obtains and maintains personal information from all county spray teams which is used in administering their pay e.g., ID number, telephone numbers, etc.
- Compile team member payroll data and other records to ensure the timely and accurate disbursement of payments; calculate wages and pay adjustments in the payroll process.
- Assist in review of the financial data from field stations by verifying the accuracy of information/support documentations and reasonableness of costs.
- Organize the financial document filing system for the county.
- Ensure payments are processed in a timely manner as per the payment schedule
- Communicate with finance clerks via email and phone to ensure information required for payments is captured and processed correctly
- Research and resolve any payroll or vendor payment issues
- Data entry on payroll and vendor registry
- Provide high level of customer service to all staff and external vendors of the organization
- Maintain strict confidentiality as it relates to all information.
- Aid in generating ad hoc reports from multiple financial systems
- Assist in verifying and processing of payments
- Perform other ad hoc projects duties as assigned by supervisor
- Always ensure adherence to MOH and VL’s COVID 19 mitigation measures.
Required minimum qualifications, skills and abilities
- Training in accounting/finance or its equivalent preferably CPA (K)
- Additional 1 year experience working as an account clerk in a busy professional environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of payroll processing and reporting
- Excellent levels of numeracy and computer literacy
- High accuracy and productivity
- Strong organizational skills
- Financial services operations or administrative experience a plus
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to use spreadsheets and other accounting software
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to reside within the Sub County of jurisdiction
- Willingness to work for 6 days in a week (Monday to Saturday).
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
NB: All positions that involves a worker coming into close contact with insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests.
Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for alternative roles they qualify for.
NB: These positions will be on a short-term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. All qualified applicants including minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to Kenyajobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and Operations Site e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – Wath Onger Dispensary’ by COB, Monday, October 31, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies.
Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.