Bioinformatics jobs, Data Science jobs,Research jobs,
Early Post-Doctoral Researcher
The incumbent will largely be involved in bioinformatics analysis of sequence data generated from immunoglobulin genes. Ability to perform basic molecular biology techniques to generate the libraries will be an added advantage. The job is based at KWTRP in Kilifi, Kenya
The staff will be responsible for a laptop, data storage and together with the PI, manage budget allocated for bioinformatics analysis.
- Supporting the research team in bioinformatics analysis and interpretation of large sequencing data sets generated on diverse platforms (NextSeq,MiSeq and NovaSeq).
- Co-ordinating data transfer and analysis with collaborators
- Technology transfer from collaborating laboratories.
- Training and supervision of AROs and interns
- Designing exploratory analysis approaches and bioinformatics pipelines.
- Perform basic molecular biology procedures to generate sequencing libraries.
- Presenting of project results at different forums, locally and internationally.
- Contribute to the writing of scientific manuscripts
- Ensuring that all work done complies with the applicable regulations concerning biohazards, data privacy, Good Clinical and Laboratory Practice and maintain all documentation.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, data science or molecular biology with a very strong understanding of bioinformatics and computational analysis.
- Proficiency in programming in Python and software development stacks
- Proficiency with the Pandas Data Library and Jupiter Software Ecosystem
- Up to 4 years postdoctoral experience
- Experience in analysing large next-generation sequencing data.
- Experience in using various analytical packages such as STATA and R
- Keen on research
- Demonstrated high levels of confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal, written, presentation and communication skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong Management, leadership and decision-making skills,
- Ability to build strong and diverse effective teams, delegation and team motivation
- Ability to build productive and collaborative relationships with varied stakeholders
- Based at the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Kilifi, Kenya but be flexible to travel to other partner or collaborating institutions.
- Be available to work out of hours if necessary.
- Exposure to materials considered infectious and/or biohazards.