Geospatial Research Officer at icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health,
Geospatial Research Officer at icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health
Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, icipe was established in 1970, to address this very paradox of insects and accompanying challenges. The Centre’s mission is to use insect science for sustainable development, to ensure food security and improve the overall health of communities in Africa by addressing the interlinked problems of poverty, poor health
Geospatial Research Officer
Overall Purpose of the Job
- To provide GIS and earth observation support to the Malaria Vector Atlas project through developing high-quality GIS products of mosquito vectors and associated diseases that will be published to the vector Atlas data hub.
- Develop high-quality study area and baseline GIS map products using various GIS software (e.g., QGIS, ArcMap and R) and online open-source platforms like Google Earth Engine.
- Develop novel spatial models and maps that promote the understanding of the variables that drive malaria transmission.
- Standardize and optimize maps before publishing them on the Vector Atlas platform to ensure the quality and reliability of model outputs.
- Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc/BA in GIS, Remote Sensing, Geography, Environmental Sciences and/ or any related field from a recognized University.
- Minimum of one-year proven work experience in – more or less- similar position.
- Having previously worked with an international/ regional research organization is an added advantage.
- Proven knowledge and skills in the usage of GIS and remote sensing software and open-source platforms.
- Experience in the use of open data kit (ODK) and/ or other geospatial data collection apps.
- Ability to handle and process a large number of imageries from different satellite systems.
- Knowledge and skills in performing machine learning modelling and statistical algorithms using open-source programming environments like R and Google Earth Engine.
Other Desirable Attributes
- The employee should be able to judge the basic work-related problem and use his/ her determination to solve it with minimum supervision.
- Providing technical backstopping for scientific publications and communicating research findings through conferences, meetings and workshops.
- Work closely with partners for research project implementation and provide all needed geospatial activities to partners.
- This position reports to the Head of Data Management, Modelling and Geo-Information Unit
Method of Application
Applications will be accepted up to 4th August 2023. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential coverletter; (b) a detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statementillustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by