Geospatial Specialist at International Rescue Committee,
Geospatial Specialist at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization.
The Geospatial specialist will actively participate in ongoing spatial and non-spatial data management activities, GIS projects and future IRC regional mapping and information analysis efforts. He/she will effectively manage and report on projects with a focus on data analysis, GIS data representation, data mapping and development of standardized geographic information analysis goals.
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are displaced. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- Work with key internal clients to develop regular geospatial/information analysis products to support programming and contextual developments that affect IRC’s interventions.
- Ensure key information is analyzed and presented in a suitable way to support decision-making by key internal clients. Design, develop, customize, and maintain spatial analyses and information products using GIS and related software and subsystems.
- Coordinate the acquisition of new spatial data and supervise its integration into the organization’s existing GIS and information analysis products. Provide quality control with regard to data capture (data conversion), and the evaluation of data acquired from country programs and outside of the organization.
- Provide cartographic design and produce high quality geographic maps.
- Collaborate with the Global Crisis Analysis team to use satellite imagery and other remote-sensing methodologies to support IRC’s programs and operations.
- Serve as the GIS technical lead and point of contact for Asia regio and global safety and security GIS and related matters. Diagnose and solve problems experienced with the use of GIS and related software. Acquire relevant data and establish teamwork processes for quality inputs.
- Participate in relevant information analysis coordination sessions to aid strategic decision making.
- BS or MS degree in computer science, GIS or related field
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in GIS development
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Solid grasp of the ESRI ArcGIS or equivalent GIS software suite
- Experience in programming using databases and maps
- Experience in designing and maintaining relational databases.
- Experience with PowerBI Suite, or similar data analysis and visualization tools
- Strong data analysis skills with the ability to engage with variety of audiences to brainstorm on program data goals
- Superb communication and coordination skills
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible to rapidly change focus quickly to respond to urgent needs.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with limited mentorship while keeping in close collaboration with members of the team
Preferred experience & skills:
- Experience working on international development or humanitarian response projects, preferably with field experience.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and verbal, required. Working fluency in French, Spanish and/or Arabic, desired.