Head Chef at Catholic University of Eastern Africa,
Head Chef at Catholic University of Eastern Africa
The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA), like most other universities, started in a modest way. It commenced as a graduate school of theology known as the Catholic Higher Institute of Eastern Africa (CHIEA). The Institute (CHIEA) was founded in 1984 by the regional ecclesiastical authority known as the Association of Member Episcopal Conferences
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create menus for special events as well as daily food supply in the cafeteria;
- Maintain updated and accurate costing record of all dishes prepared and sold within the university;
- Ensure proper maintenance of equipment and ensuring that they are always in working order and advise on purchases of equipment;
- Head the purchase and storage of food in the kitchen so that there is timely supply of healthy and quality food by the catering department;
- Identify the developmental needs of kitchen staff; coaching, mentoring, performance management and helping sta to improve their knowledge and skills and ensuring disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to institutional, operational standards, and management policy;
- Promote the maintenance of general hygiene standards in the kitchen.
- Support in recruitment of new employees and interns and ensure on boarding is conducted as per university standards;
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with co-workers and guests;
- To research, prepare and demonstrate production of variety of dishes;
- To perform any other official duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Competences:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Production or any other related field from a recognized institution will be added as advantage.
- Diploma in food production from a recognized institution.
- Working knowledge of French to be able to interpret menus
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience with at least 2 in a supervisory role.
Competencies and Attributes
- Basic Computational Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Kitchen Equipment Knowledge
- Knowledge of International Cuisines
- Good Interpersonal Skills
- Culinary Arts Training
Method of Application
CUEA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, disability and gender equality. CUEA does not charge for any application, processing, interviewing or any other fee in connection with our recruitment process. Application Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Filled Application Form copies of relevant certifcates and transcripts, and three reference letters one from the local parish to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should reach the Human Resource Manager on or before 31st January 2023