Humanitarian Affairs Associate at United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs,
Humanitarian Affairs Associate at United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
This section provides an overview of OCHA’s mandate, its leadership and how it is funded. It also includes a detailed section on OCHA’s flagship and thematic publications, and on the Agenda for Humanity – a plan put forward by the UN Secretary-General calling on global leaders to stand up for our common humanity and reduce humanitarian suffering.
Humanitarian Affairs Associate
Under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Affairs Officer, and as part of a Team, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks with a focus on the Horn of Africa drought crisis, but contributing to other aspects and countries of ROSEA’s coverage as and when required:
- supports coordinated humanitarian operational preparedness for, and response to, emergencies in the region, including through frontline surge, and support (remote and in-person) for the development of relevant products such as contingency plans, the Humanitarian Programme Cycle, flash updates, humanitarian financing (e.g. CERF) etc.
- Contributes to Monitor, analyze and report on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in assigned areas of Southern and Eastern Africa;
- Supports in following up on developments in countries assigned by the supervisor, keep relevant country profiles up-to-date, interact with the Resident Coordinator’s Office coordination specialist for assigned countries, and highlight any issues of concern to feed into the daily operational update.
- Participates in producing analytical notes to better understand political and conflict dynamics in the region, in support of preparedness and operational work in the region.
- Provide CMCoord support and training to countries in need and/or training institutions in the region.
- Participates in frontline surge in response to new emergencies, the escalation of existing emergencies and/or fill critical gaps.
- Assists in making contacts and nurturing relationships with key interlocuters in your countries of responsibility and thematic areas.
- Assists to feed into any country/thematic reports/documents that might be required e.g. snapshots, outlooks, sitreps, etc.
- Participates, alongside other team members, in the production of appeals for international assistance – including Humanitarian Needs Overviews, Humanitarian Response Plans and Flash Appeals – in the region;
- Assists to organize and participate in meetings, conferences and consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters in the region
- As part of a Team the Youth Volunteer supports the RCO in the preparation of relevant CERF reports in countries under ROSEA’s coverage without OCHA country offices.
- 0 years of experience in / up to three years and/or demonstrated in:
- humanitarian/emergency response, human rights, international development, public diplomacy, or other relevant programmes;
- Experience working in the Horn of Africa (especially Kenya, Ethiopia and/or Somalia) is desirable.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;