Job title: IEC Assistant
Supervisor: SBCC Coordinator
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
No. required: 13 (8 in Homa Bay and 5 in Migori)
In 2021, USAID Kenya awarded Abt Associates, the Kenya Vector Control Activity, now renamed PMI Kinga Malaria.
It seeks to build on PMI investments under PMI AIRS and VectorLink.
The purpose of the project is to plan, implement, provide technical assistance for, monitor and evaluate critical malaria vector control activities.
This includes indoor residual spraying (IRS) and insecticide treated net (ITN) activities for prevention of malaria in Kenya.
The project has six objectives:
(1) indoor residual spraying and other proven vector control interventions,
(2) entomological monitoring and surveillance,
(3) ITN durability monitoring
(4) data driven decision making to inform strategic deployment of ITNs and IRS,
(5) capacity building of Kenya national malaria program and selected counties and
(6) continuous net distribution system in the community through multiple channels.
In 2023, Abt Associates shall implement IRS in Homa Bay and Migori Counties and in other counties thereafter as determined by USAID Kenya.
In close collaboration with the Division of National Malaria Program (DNMP), Migori and Homa Bay and Migori County governments, PMI Kinga Malaria seeks to recruit professionals in different fields to support in implementation of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) in all the Eight sub-counties in Homa Bay county namely; Homa Bay Township (All wards), Rangwe (All wards), Suba South (Ruma Kaksingri East ward only), Suba North (Mfangano island only), Rachuonyo South (All wards), Rachuonyo East (All wards), Ndhiwa (All except Kwabwai ward) and Rachuonyo North (All except Central Karachuonyo, Kibiri and Kanyaluo ward) and Four sub-counties in Migori county namely; Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike.
Overall Purpose: The IEC Assistant will assist in coordination and implementation of project related community Social Behaviour Change communications and mobilization activities in the sub-County under the direct supervision of the SBCC Coordinator.
Working closely with the sub county coordinators, sub-county IRS steering committee, site coordinators and site supervisors.
S/He will facilitate and coordinate all PMI Kinga Malaria pre, during and post spraying SBC activities including community mass mobilization activities, branding/marking and communication activities in the said sub-County.
- Ensure strengthened partnerships and collaboration between MOH – sub county steering team and other like-minded partners working in the respective sub county.
- Coordinate all mass mobilization activities in the respective sub county by ensuring that the sub location mobilizers coordinate their movement well and visit their assigned community social groups/ institutions.
- Ensure mobilization activities are implemented as per the mobilization calendars and are well coordinated with spray calendars.
- Collect and document success stories weekly from the field and ensuring that all those interviewed for success stories have signed consent forms, and forms clearly labeled and filed in the sites.
- Take action photos daily capturing activities in the field, with special emphasis on spray activities,
mobilization activities, mass mobilization, morning mobilization and end of day mobilization and include these in the weekly reports.
- Submit weekly progress reports to the SBCC Coordinator capturing progress of mobilization activities, challenges experienced, lessons learned and successes
- Together with the site coordinator and the site supervisors, train and orient both the sub location mobilizers and the mobilizers team lead on their key roles
- Ensure that the mobilization team is actively involved in ensuring that all community members are aware about IRS and other malaria interventions carried out in the community
- Ensure that the sub location mobilizers have materials to carry out their mass mobilization activities. E.g., megaphones, mobilizer pocket guide, reflector jackets, notebooks and pens
- Ensure that the various operationssites are branded with banners at the entrance and have posted IRS stickers on major public areas and IRS SOP vehicles
- Ensure that all the mobilizer team leads send data daily using the given format to their respective site coordinators
- Ensure that the relevant data forms from the field are delivered to the sites promptly and verified
- Ensure that completed mobilizer data forms from the field are filed accordingly in every operations site.
- Ensure that all the forms received in the field are entered in ODK as prescribed by the program
- Conduct quality control and assurance checksto ascertain community mobilization and communication work is done to agreeable standards and correct key messages are being given to the community.
- Provide updates and analysis of key developments in targeted thematic areas.
- Organize and participate in community sensitization activities and ensure that minimal or zero refusals to IRS is experienced.
- Attend stakeholder meetings including chiefs barazas, church meetings, school visits, youth and women group meetings together with the sub location mobilizers on behalf of PMI Kinga malaria at the sub location and ward level and documenting the deliberations in the relevant data tools
- Attend county commissioners’ weekly briefing, document deliberations and submit to the project officer
- Pay special & focused attention to special groups that have been hard to reach e.g., fisher folk, gold miners, traditional wizards & boda boda riders by meeting their leaders and ensuring that their members are available to have their structures sprayed
- Attend pre-natal health talks at the sub county health facilities to talk to pregnant women about IRS and other malaria prevention measures
- Data entry of all the mobilizer forms from the field
- Advocate for and ensure total adherence to MOH and project’s COVID 19 mitigation measures
Required qualifications and experience:
- Diploma in a relevant field plus two years’ experience in community development, public health, social sciences or other related discipline. Bachelor’s degree is highly preferred.
- Knowledge in report writing and public speaking
- Must have had two (2) years supervisory experience in community mobilization.
- Must have knowledge of the social structures existing in the respective sub county
- Good understanding of the terrain, the sub locations, and villages in the sub county
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience managing IEC and community outreach /mobilization activitiesfor local health programs is essential, experience with malaria prevention programs preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Conversant and able to communicate in the English, Kiswahili and local language (Dholuo).
- Advocacy related skills would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to train on heath related issues.
- Strong computer skills required
- Report writing skills desirable
NB: All positions that involves a worker coming into close contact with insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests.
Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for alternative roles they qualify for.
NB: These positions will be on a short-term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. All qualified applicants including minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to Kenyajobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and Operations Site e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – Wath Onger Dispensary’ by COB, Monday, October 31, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies.
Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.