Interpreter Support Assistant – Grade 3 at Church World Service,
Interpreter Support Assistant – Grade 3 at Church World Service
Church World Service (CWS) was founded in 1946 and is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations and communions, providing sustainable self-help, development, disaster relief, and refugee assistance around the world
Interpreter Support Assistant – Grade 3
The position is responsible for increasing and maintaining quality standards in the proper use of Contractor Management System, Interpreters in both Pre-screening and USCIS interviews, in pre-departure orientations, and translating written materials into the key languages of our refugee populations.
- Updates and maintains the RSC Africa Interpreter and Child-minder database.
- Develops resources for use by Interpreters/ Child-minders and RSC staff to further improve the efficient and effective use of contract Interpreters/ Child-minders.
- Conducts training, testing, observations (Prescreening interviews and Cultural Orientation classes), and supervision of the Interpreters, both in the field and in Nairobi on a regular basis.
- Participates in Pre-screening, USCIS, and Cultural Orientation Circuit Ride (CR) briefing and debriefing to provide expertise on Interpreters.
- Provides in-house training to RSC staff on how to effectively working with Interpreters/Child-minders. Submits monthly reports on the status of activities.
- With guidance from the Interpreter Supervisor, provide training to Contract Interpreters/Child-minders in sub-Sahara Africa.
- Assist the Interpreter Supervisor, plan, execute and support Interpreter/Child-minder Training and Monitoring circuit rides.
- Assist the Interpreter Supervisor monitor, respond and manage the Interpreter mailbox. This includes ensuring professional communication with USRAP partners on Contract Interpreter.
- Provide support to Program Integrity Specialist on Contract Interpreter investigation and requested support as assigned by the Interpreter Supervisor.
- Interprets into/from English in/from at least one of the following languages: Amharic, Congolese Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Oromo, or Somali.
- Translate materials as required/ requested.
- Coordinate with Date Integrity to develop reports related to Interpreters Management.
- Work closely with Program Integrity Specialist to ensure RSC Program Integrity Guidelines on Interpreters (both required and recommended) are implemented, adhered to, and reported appropriately.
- Maintains a current knowledge of the United States Refugee Admissions Program.
- Travels periodically to field locations throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned to enhance the efficiency and efficacy of the operation.
- Written and verbal knowledge of at least one of the main RSC Africa processing languages required. (Amharic, Congolese Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Oromo, or Somali.)
- 1.5 years’ experience as an Interpreter or as a Coordinator of Interpreters preferred.
- Three (3) year’s work experience required
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver quality training programs.
- Demonstrated computer skills for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet.
Education & Certifications:
- High School diploma is required for this role
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).