Job Opportunities at Canonical Kenya,
Job Opportunities at Canonical Kenya
We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely and more cost effectively than any other company. If you’re interested in a career at Canonical, we are a remote-first company so please apply to any suitable role as skills are valued more than location, despite some having a preferred geographic preference.
Ubuntu Security Certifications Manager
The role of a Ubuntu Security Certifications Manager
- This is an exciting opportunity to work on making Ubuntu the most enterprise ready operating system in the world. You will work alongside fantastic security professionals already onboard at Canonical, and share your time between contributing technically, and managing team members and projects.
- The security certifications team are responsible for achieving and maintaining various industry standard certifications that enable Ubuntu and the other Canonical products to be deployed and used in some of the most demanding environments. This work involves understanding and preempting the market needs, as well as driving the overall industry future of open source security certifications.
- As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software security is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
- Location: This is a Globally remote role
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Plan, prioritize and track progress towards multiple certification achievements.
- Provide technical thought leadership for your team and others around Canonical
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
What we are looking for
- Strong software engineering skills – design, document, plan, execute
- Demonstrated experience in managing or leading software engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to deliver certification or compliance for products
- Experience with cryptographic modules
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- FIPS 140-3
- Common Criteria
- WIllingness to travel up to 4 times a year for internal events
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Technical Author – Ubuntu and Canonical products
The role of a Technical Author
- You’ll be part of an engineering team, focused on a specific Canonical product area. You will lead the team effort to create, maintain and improve documentation that serves the needs of the product’s users, embracing the principles of the Diátaxis documentation framework You will have a broad impact on – and responsibility for – the quality of the user experience with the product, and will contribute towards the long-term success of the project itself.
- As the Technical Author on the team, you will collaborate with software developers, product managers, community members, other documentation authors, information architects, quality assurance engineers and technical support engineers to develop clear documentation for complex technical topics. You’ll be part of our effort to establish documentation as a first-class engineering discipline.
- You also be a part of Canonical’s documentation practice team, that includes all the company’s Technical Authors. Here, you’ll be amongst other documentation experts, who collaborate to define documentation excellence.
- Location: This is a fully remote role, open to candidates across the globe.
What you’ll do on a regular basis
- Create, maintain and improve software documentation
- Work with engineering team members, to help them make effective documentation contributions
- Influence the development of the product, as an expert user of the product, who has important opinions about its function and design
- Engage with user communities to ensure that our documentation meets their needs
- Encourage and support community engagement in and contribution to documentation
- Help standardise the structure, presentation, style and language of content across products
- Collaborate with documentation peers to advance the state of the art in documentation at Canonical
- Challenge and advance documentation understanding and best-practice, as part of a disciplinary team
Our best candidate
- Cares deeply about functional written communication
- Is a technical writer with a programmer’s mindset, or a programmer with a record of producing excellent documentation
- Has a record of community engagement, in open-source software, documentation, research or other disciplines
- Is sympathetic to the needs and challenges of open-source software and its communities
- Demonstrates technical curiosity, and is fascinated by software technology and its challenges
- Has demonstrable documentation skills, insight and enthusiasm
- Has experience of software development contexts; is familiar with: Linux, working on the command line, application deployment, system operations, and infrastructure management, Git, documentation markup languages Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Holds a BSc/BA degree or equivalent
- Is able to travel twice a year for up to two weeks for events
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Deep technical domain knowledge
- Open-source community leadership and management
- User-experience, interaction or visual design
Senior Software Architect, Commercial Systems
The role of a Senior Software Architect, Commercial Systems at Canonical
- This role is an opportunity for a senior software architect to build a career with Canonical and drive the architecture of internally developed and deployed software solutions.
- The Commercial Systems team closely collaborates with other engineering and business teams at Canonical. Services designed, developed, and operated by the Commercial Systems team are used by millions of machines all over the world. Designing and developing these systems requires a high degree of understanding of distributed systems and appreciation for business critical systems and the value of data flowing between the systems. It is crucial for services developed by the Commercial Systems team to flawlessly and securely operate 24/7 and to allow for seamless integration with solutions developed and used by other teams at Canonical, while keeping security at the forefront. Apply here if you would like to be at the center of connecting all the dots and drive the architecture of such software solutions.
- As a successful candidate, you will provide architectural guidance to six engineering teams within Commercial Systems that develop backend services for ESM, automate business processes, integrate a number of software systems used across Canonical, and develop an internal data lake. You will also work with engineering and business stakeholders on designing software solutions developed by the Commercial Systems team and made available to other engineering teams at Canonical as a service.
- We are looking for a senior software architect with hands-on experience with Go and Python, distributed systems, SaaS, and microservices, who has the drive, energy, and skills to drive the architecture of business critical systems at Canonical.
- Location: This role will be based remotely in the EMEA region.
What your day will look like
- Drive the architecture of internally developed and operated software solutions
- Actively seek improvements to established processes, designs, and solutions
- Provide architectural guidance to engineering teams
What we are looking for in you
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a relevant work experience
- Experience as a software architect working on distributed and business critical systems
- Experience with Golang and Python as a software engineer
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Excellent analytical skills and both verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders, remain highly motivated, productive, and organized in a fully remote environment
- Ability to travel to international destinations for one week at a time, approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations prior to the global pandemic included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Experience from finance, sales, or e-commerce domains
How to submit application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.