International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Jobs at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies,
Jobs at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations, Jobs at International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian and development network, with millions of volunteers in 190 member National Societies. We are guided by Strategy 2020 – our collective plan of action to tackle the major humanitarian and development challenges of the present decade.
Officer, Accounting and Reporting
Job Duties And Responsibilities
Monthly Financial Reporting
Ensure timely preparation of monthly reports (within 3 working days):-
- Download financial data from Business Object (BO), and work on KPI reports sent by Geneva
- Manually input financial data into excel spreadsheet.
- Check, validate and compare information and take appropriate action to solve discrepancies.
- Inform Finance Analyst on action points and follow up if required (eg. Overdue pledge and outstanding Pledge based financial statement).
- Prepare monthly excel files on payroll coding, donor reporting and administration services invoice.
- Consolidate action points from Analyst for reporting during monthly meeting.
- Update payroll coding in My HR and maintain files for signed payroll coding request form.
- Assist in preparing ad-hoc reports and analysis when requested by Regional Finance and Administration Manager.
Month End Closing
Ensure timely month end closing as per the deadline (usually 14th of the month):-
- Update deadline table and assist Analyst with document checking when required.
- Clear all discrepancies and error on Exception Report prior to closing. Ensure clean month end balance sheet for Africa. (including inter-co clearance, bilateral matching & service income)
- Opening and Closure of period in CODA
- Administrative services invoice report and follow up on timely submission.
Validate the request from country prior to maintaining the APPLE system:-
- Review request to open a project
- Update and maintain accurate data on Appeal manager, Project manager and Pledge manager.
- Project code Closing & Freezing
- Monitor and follow up on extension of project time-frame for Emergency Appeal (EA)
- Monitor and keep track of Cash disbursement Memo and threshold including Segregation of Duties (SoD).
- Ensure system access for CODA and APPLE users are validated as per latest approved SoD.
- Ensure bank signatories in APPLE are valid names as per latest approved SoD.
Managing project management cycle
- Follow up on projects without appeal and operating budget.
- Ensure all KPIs are address and rectified including Expenditure above Budget/PEAR.
- Ensure timely closure of all appeals and projects.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation on C2 delegate provision and follow up with HR on pending invoice.
- Monitor and follow up on appeal or project closure which has pending accruals or provision to be cleared.
- Reconcile and clear all dormant balance sheet, projects and appeals
- Follow up on timely submission of quarterly retrospective expenditure approval.
Other Financial Task
When necessary to consolidate Africa office finance information for Geneva Finance:-
- Audit query & extract original documents for audit transactions.
- Request/Restore boxes from warehouse.
- Doubtful pledges, Financial Leases, Fixed Asset review, Bank account details
- Stationery request & any other task
Provide adequate support to RFU team when required. This includes preparation for finance training & presentation. Keep up-to-date information on finance staff contact details in the region.
- Chartered Accountancy qualification. Required
- Documented skills in computer applications (spreadsheets, word processing, accounting applications, email and internet usage) . Required
- Minimum of three years professional experience in a relevant position. Required
- Excellent spoken and written English. Preferred
- Experience in Problem Resolution. Required
- Experience in Budget preparation and control. Required
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Well developed interpersonal skills. Required
- Ability to work & communicate well within the team. Required
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines. Required
- Able to complete job with minimum supervision and error. Required
- Excellent practical knowledge of computers. Required
Analyst, Finance (Bilingual)
Job Duties And Responsibilities
Internal Control and Risk Management
- Screen through monthly original supporting documents and field returns from country delegation and provide feedback if there were any discrepancies or anomalies.
- Carry out field missions to country delegation at least once or twice a year as a pre-audit measure to ensure finance functions and controls are in place.
- Review internal controls through the review of monthly financial documents, provide feedback to the country finance and head of delegation on control weaknesses, identify top risks facing a country delegation and support the delegation to address the same.
- Ensure all delegation have signed up to date petty cash policy with clear segregation of duties
- Ensure all delegation have up to date Cash disbursement Memo and segregation of duties on system access and bank signatories.
- Support country delegation in conducting risk assessments.
- Advice country delegation on how to conduct control and self-assessment
- Advice country heads and finance managers on financial controls
- Review high risk transactions especially in areas touching on procurement and identify any areas of concern
- Detect and highlight any suspicion of fraud and escalate to the Head of Finance
- Preparing the cash request analysis, reviewing the project management status report, and highlighting issues to follow up.
- Reviewing the cash requests from cluster and country delegation including preparing the cash request analysis and ensuring adequacy of documents attached before onward transmission to Geneva
- Perform control checks on monthly reports for cluster and country delegation before monthly closure is done
- Being the go-between person between Geneva and field offices in Africa on all finance related matters – all issues from the field touching on finance must be dealt with by the finance analyst before onward processing to Geneva
- Coordinate the annual budgeting process for cluster and country offices before final consolidation and submission to Geneva. This includes coordinating the quarterly revisions before approval by the Secretary General (SG).
- Validate operating budgets for Disaster response emergency fund (DREF, Emergency Appeal, Pledge, Staff) before submission to donors and/or Geneva including uploading budgets in the system.
- Reviewing of administrative services invoices before submission to Geneva (GVA) and eventually to partners.
- Reviewing the project management status report and highlighting issues to follow up.
- Monthly validation of donor and appeal financial reports for accuracy and compliance before submission to donors.
Audit and Compliance
- Ensure opening and maintaining the codes in APPLE by regular updating of project information and linking of codes.
- Being the contact person for all audits e.g. KPMG audits, SIDA audits, ECHO audits, coordinating the audits, submission of documents and answering any audit queries raised.
- Conducting budget-holder training on financial management, financial reporting, compliance, controls, KPI monitoring.
- Review compliance to IFRC policies e.g. finance, contract, procurement, consultancy policies. Highlight areas of non-compliance and advise country and cluster offices on the same including advising on action plans to address issues raised.
- Share with internal and external auditors’ monthly controls feedback on a request basis and assist in identifying any control issues that need follow up.
Job Duties And Responsibilities (continued)
- Ensure funds are transferred to delegation on time by communicating with Geneva Treasury.
- Validating the accuracy of information on budget and PEAR ceiling before loading into the system.
- Validating various agreements, contracts, MoU and staff request as per the contract matrix and authorisation procedure.
- Support cluster and country finance teams to ensure proper financial management systems are in place.
- Conduct financial analysis to support senior management in decision making e.g. analysis of financial impact of restructuring process and salary reviews.
- Advisory role to operations staff and budget holders on finance matters.
National Society Development
- Support in Working with Project Partner capacity review assessment and move as many national societies as possible from working advance to funds transfer modality.
- Follow up to ensure Funds transfer society reporting are done in timely manner and completion of spot check report by country team.
- Support country team on national society Costing policy guidelines.
- Follow up with country team on supporting the National Society(ies) in meeting constitutional financial accountability obligations, including timely submission of Statutory Contributions, filing of audited financial statements; and filing of Certified Declarations of Income.
- Work closely with operational team in contribution towards Red Ready approach.
- Monitor monthly closing of each country delegation by reviewing the balance sheets, checking the exception reports and validating the financial information
- Monitoring the KPIs reflected on monthly financial report and following up with country finance staff to ensure adequate action is taken to minimise the risk or exposure. If needed message will be escalated to project manager and head of delegation.
- Monitoring and follow up of audit recommendations for the cluster and country delegation under management.
- Clean and close dormancy balance sheet items including working advance, pledge, project and appeals.
- Conducting monitoring visits to Cluster and Country delegation.
- Highlight any procurement control gaps or anomalies noted
- Assist regional logistics unit in flagging procurements above CHF 50,000 in the region
- Monitor finance staff in cluster and countries to ensure tasks and functions are completed within acceptable levels of quality and compliance and escalate any issues identified to the Head of finance.
- Provide technical advice in the recruitment and training finance staff to ensure tasks and functions are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide technical appraisal on country finance staff performance.
- Training new and old staff on financial & administrative procedures and policies.
- Provide continuous guidance, advice, and support to finance and administration staff in cluster and country delegation.
- Briefing in coming country heads on financial matters, including debriefing.
- Act for the Regional Head of Finance and Administration in her/his absence.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, or any other relevant fields
- Full professional accountancy qualification (CPA (K), ACCA, ACA etc.
- 7 years’ experience in financial management, accounting and audit, and risks management.
- Previous experience working for the Federation and/or National Society is an asset
- Experience in managing and developing financial teams
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Experience in training financial and non-financial staff on financial matters
- Experience in writing narrative and financial reports.
- Practical knowledge of computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, Accounting and Financial software such as Sage, QuickBooks, etc.)
- Fluently spoken and written English and French is required
- Good command of another IFRC official language (Spanish or Arabic)
How to apply
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.