Jobs at Canonical
Jobs at Canonical
We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely and more cost effectively than any other company. If you’re interested in a career at Canonical, we are a remote-first company so please apply to any suitable role as skills are valued more than location, despite some having a preferred geographic preference.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldEngineering / Technical , ICT / Computer
- As an engineering director at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the teams you support: ensuring that they are continually improving, doing valuable work, and having a great time at Canonical. As a leader of managers and contributors, astute technical leadership and management acumen is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your teams. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams to hone strategy and execution.
- You’ll be delivering a large open source Go project that powers complex, highly concurrent distributed software systems across the world, while growing and developing engineers at all levels. We’re looking for someone with a proven track record in delivery of quality software over time.
- Technical contribution through code is not expected in this role, but significant past experience with hands-on software development, particularly in Go, is desirable. You will be expected to lead and facilitate technical design and architecture work alongside your senior engineering staff.
- The role is fully remote, with global travel for 4-6 weeks per year to facilitate company events.
- This is an opportunity for a talented software engineer with a passion for developer experience and build tooling to have a positive impact on the day-to-day workflow of thousands of snap and charm publishers. To be successful on this team you’ll need to be interested in packaging formats, build systems and automation that can simplify the lives of developers and engineers trying to ship software to the widest possible audience.
- We design and maintain specialist Python tools to support the developer build and publication process. The team takes responsibility for tooling that builds snaps, charms and more recently, ROCKs (OCI images).
- Snapcraft allows developers to deliver app updates to millions of Linux systems automatically, eliminating the long tail of supported releases and complex install instructions. Snapcraft enables thousands of applications from over a thousand developers, including well-recognised names like Spotify, Slack, and Microsoft.
- Likewise, Charmcraft enables collaboration between charmed operator developers, and publication on Charmhub, home of the Charmed Operator Collection. Charmed Operators enable developers to package software like databases, event queues, caches, observability tools, identity tools and more, right alongside the operations code that enables teams to integrate and operate that software at scale from Day 0 to Day 1,000, and beyond.
What we are looking for in you
- You have expertise in Python.
- You have a strong understanding of the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution.
- You have a good understanding of build systems and toolchains, including for cross-compilation.
- Experience working with container technology, such as Docker, Kubernetes and LXD.
- Use your familiarity with languages, toolchains, frameworks, integrations, and CI systems to extend the snap build ecosystem
- Work with external open source and commercial projects to understand how we can better serve community needs.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.