KWS Declaration of Vacancy For Director General,
KWS Declaration of Vacancy For Director General
DECLARATION OF VACANCY FOR THE POSITION OF DIRECTOR GENERAL KWS GRADE 1 – REF: KWS/DG/01/2023
The Director General shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Service, responsible for the day-to-day management of the affairs of the Service, overall leadership, implementation of the Service’s strategic goals and the management of its resources including giving direction
and leadership to the achievement of the Service’s mission, the development of its strategy and the attainment of its goals and objectives.
The Director General shall be responsible to the Board of Trustees in:
• Providing strategic direction and leadership to KWS in order to achieve corporate goals.
• Providing leadership, command, control and superintendence of the uniformed and disciplined cadre of the Service.
• Authorizing security operations within the Service for the protection of KWS resources.
• Overseeing implementation of corporate plans and strategies based on the KWS’s business philosophy, mission, vision and core values.
• Setting standards and procedures for resource mobilization for the Service’s development.
• Facilitating operations and administration of the Board of Trustees, interfacing between the board and staff and assisting the board’s evaluation of achievements of corporate objectives.
• Overseeing financial management and invest- ment undertakings by ensuring that sound policies and practices are adopted for optimal utilization and returns.
• Overseeing effective management of human resource for optimal productivity through policies and strategies that attract and retain qualified and competent staff.
• Overseeing effective management of physical and material assets for optimal returns from the investment.
• Providing strategic linkages with the corporate world, business community, government agencies and other social partners for the benefit of the KWS.
• Providing leadership in business growth and customer service in line with the corporate business plan and strategy.
• Ensuring corporate compliance with all statutory, legal, social and regulatory requirements in the execution of its business strategies.
• Overseeing development and implementation of corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives and ensuring that the KWS image is well projected and protected.
• Managing corporate change through adopting policies and strategies that will ensure organizational effectiveness and business survival.
• Deepening relationship between KWS and stakeholders in the management of the Service resources.
• Coordinating and approving management plans and licensing of Service operations.
• Maintaining good management systems and be accountable for the same.
The ideal candidate should:-
• Be a Kenyan citizen.
• Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources Management, Finance, Business or Strategic Management from a University recognized in Kenya.
• Have at least fifteen (15) years’ professional experience in a related field at management level.
• Be a person of high integrity and meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Possession of paramilitary training with good knowledge and understanding of the Service shall be an added advantage.
• Demonstrated track record of strong, strategic leadership and management skills.
• Have exceptional negotiation skills with capacity to engage with local, regional and international organizations.
• Possess demonstrable change management leadership qualities and transformative capability.
• Be a self-driven, innovative, dynamic and capable of working under pressure with minimum supervision.
• Have excellent communication, presentation, strong interpersonal and analytical skills, organizational and team leadership capabilities.
• Demonstrate prudent financial management skills.
• Have the capability to mobilize financial resources for the Service.
• Demonstration of understanding of Kenya’s Conservation Sector.
• Possess and demonstrate excellent publication skills.
Terms of Service and Remuneration
The successful candidate will serve on a three (3) years’ contract, renewable once subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets and outcomes. The remuneration attached to this position shall be determined in accordance with the applicable law.
The successful candidate will be expected to present the following clearance certificates to fulfill requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya and the Leadership and Integrity Act:-
i. Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority.
ii. Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
iii. Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations.
iv. Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board.
v. Clearance from an approved Credit Reference Bureau.
Applicants are also notified of the mandatory requirement for short-listed candidates to undergo necessary integrity background checks.
Interested persons who meet the above minimum criteria are requested to submit applications enclosing a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant aca-
demic and professional certificates. The CV must at the minimum provide details of current employer, current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of at least three (3) referees familiar with the applicant’s professional and work record.
Applications should clearly be marked with the reference number and may be hand delivered to KWS Headquarters along Lang’ata Road, Nairobi in a sealed envelope marked “APPLICATION FOR DIRECTOR GENERAL, KWS” or sent by post or email to:-
Board of Trustees
Kenya Wildlife Service
P. O. Box 40241 – 00100
Applications must be received by 5.00 pm on Monday 12th June, 2023. Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
KWS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Applicants comprising persons with disability, women, those from marginalized areas and minority communities are encouraged to apply.
KWS Declaration of Vacancy For Director General