Latest Jobs at BBC World Service,
The BBC World Service is the world’s largest international broadcaster, broadcasting radio and television news, speech and discussions in 29 languages to many parts of the world on analogue and digital shortwave platforms, Internet streaming, podcasting, satellite, FM and MW relays.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Senior Lead Presenter – Focus on Africa TV
The Senior Lead Presenter of Focus TV will present the show 5 days a week and be key to growing the loyalty of our audiences and the ambition of our television and digital plans. You will be an experienced, exciting, brave presenter or reporter with a strong news sense and a sharp editorial mind. You will be passionate about making accurate, impartial, trusted news and current affairs from across Africa.
You will have ideas and ambitions about how we can drive exclusive original journalism originating in Africa, and how we can present it for television and digital to our existing audiences and attract new users and viewers.
- Presents live and is able to adapt to unfolding stories while on air.
- Provides timely, specialist and self-assured news coverage and analysis on news and events of interest to the audiences of the BBC.
- Interviews leaders, news makers, specialists, policymakers and those involved at the centre of stories, holding them to account where relevant.
- Broadcasts in a manner which is, engaging, entertaining and readily understandable by a non-specialist audience, making complex issues accessible.
- Acts as an ambassador for the BBC to the audience concerned, being comfortable with policy makers, high profile people, and audiences.
- Generates ideas and stories; contributes to the creative treatment and production of an item or programme; provides clear treatments and proposals, ensuring consistency of content, quality and style.
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable experience in originating and producing impactful digital first and TV content, including explainers and analysis pieces.
- Ability to frame and tailor a story for local, regional and/or global audiences and experience of reporting on regional and international current affairs for multiple platforms.
- To have an accomplished presentation style for digital, social and linear platforms, which is fluent, engages the viewer and reflects the BBC values.
- Ability to push BBC News content on social media and engage with audiences according to the BBC editorial guidelines.
- Use knowledge of social trends across East, Central and the Horn of Africa to make informed decisions on upcoming stories.
- An excellent regional knowledge of Africa, and an understanding of BBC News distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the digital strategy of the BBC as a whole.
- Ability to collaborate with teams across platforms and the World Service to serve broad audience needs
- Ability to respond to and report on breaking news and to travel, sometimes at short notice.
Senior News Editor, BBC Swahili
The Editor will lead a team of language journalists in Kenya and Tanzania, overseeing content production and ensuring editorial compliance on digital, TV and radio platforms. The role will provide strong and clear editorial leadership and ensure the team produces more high impact original journalism and reaches younger and more female audiences.
- The role will provide editorial leadership to teams in different locations and ensure compliance across multiple platforms.
- Develop digital opportunities for TV and Radio as part of a long term strategic transformation of the service.
- Work with WS Leadership team in the delivery of the new operating model, and maximise best editorial practice and collaboration between different areas within International Services.
- Responsible for managing effective relationships with partners and external stakeholders ie. government, regulators, publishers syndicating BBC content
- To be a point of contact and represent BBC News Swahili where required at meetings, forums and editorial reviews
- Responsible for the recruitment, training and development of staff in BBC News Swahili
Are you the right candidate?
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Swahili as first (or equivalent) language as well as complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Candidate should also have an appreciation and understanding of different language dialects in order to provide clear editorial guidance
- Experience in a senior editor role with proven track record of successfully leading Swahili-speaking teams producing content for digital and linear platforms in agile and remote working environments
- Proven experience in breaking news stories as well as producing features, investigations and original journalism about East, Central and Horn of Africa, and global news and current affairs
- A strong commissioner of news content, with a strong editorial sense for originality and distinctiveness, and substantial knowledge of data analytics tools to drive decision making on story choice, publication time and recirculation
- Proven experience in leading complex teams and uniting them around clear goals
- Experience of developing a strategic approach to improving impact, reach and reaching under-served audiences
- Experience of nurturing talent and creating environments for them to develop and refine their skills including feedback strategies
- Ability to work flexibly including early/late shifts, weekends and public holidays as well as the ability to travel internationally, sometimes on short notice
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.