Latest Openings at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
Latest Openings at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Jobs in General / Jobs at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Environmental Risk Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Environment (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and capacity development for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is in UN Environment/Ecosystems Division/Biodiversity and Land Branch. The Branch requires a suitable technical consultant to support work on the topics of environmental economics, natural capital, pollution and human capital, ecosystem services, and the economics of nature-based solutions. One of the primary focus outputs of the consultancy will be to continue to co-ordinate the work carried out for the assessment of UNEP’s climate and biodiversity related projects. The work of the individual consultant helps bridge internal UNEP’s data and inputs with the assessment work of the academic institution. Tasks include:
- Provide work in collaboration, communication and facilitation, of the work of conducting an economic valuation of selected wetlands in Laos, as part of the approved PRC project titled ‘Building resilience of urban populations with ecosystem-based solutions in Laos.’
- Develop project concept notes and proposals, briefing notes and implementation agreements on subjects relevant to ecological economics such as human and natural capital accounts, nature-based solutions, green economy, and wealth accounting.
- Prepare the outreach material (Quarterly Focus Series)
- The consultant shall be under the overall supervision of the Chief Environmental Economist and Senior Economic Advisor, Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB) in Ecosystems Division of UN Environment Programme.
- Academic Qualifications: University degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in environmental or political science, economics, or related area is a requirement.
- Experience: A minimum of 2 years experience in fields related to Ecological Economics, such as ecosystem services, natural capital, and development policy is a requirement for the post.
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Closing: 12 August 2022
SENIOR FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER, P5
This position is located in UNEP’s Corporate Services Division (CSD) at the Nairobi duty station. The incumbent is under the overall supervision of the CSD Director and immediate supervision of CSD’s Deputy Director. Within delegated authority, the Senior Finance and Budget Officer/Section Chief will be responsible for the following duties:
- Carry out strategic financial planning and management of UNEP financial resources in accordance with UNEP and UN financial rules.
- Coordinate submission of biennial Programme of Work (PoW) budget and Regular Budget to the UNEP Governing Council and General Assembly.
- Ensures legislative mandates are accurately translated into programme budgets; plans and co-ordinates review of budget submissions.
- Reviews, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements; ensures compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
- Manages/issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
- Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Oversees the review and finalization of budget performance reports; monitors variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Prepares/finalizes reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on budgetary issues, and correspondence, including guidelines, instructions.
- Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rules to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with budgets and established regulations and rules.
Finance & Accounting
- Oversees the financial function of the Organization which includes a number of different and diverse operations and interrelated accounts of the financial system. The incumbent is expected to review the operational objectives and related financial policies and procedures affecting the Organization’s accounting and financial systems. S/he also takes the lead in designing and implementing required changes.
- Ensures that UNEP’s financial statements are International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) compliant.
- Directs the agile implementation of upgrades to the various modules the system.
- Keeps up to date with new IPSAS policies and implements in conjunction with UNON.
- Liaises with UNON, Administrative/Fund Management Officers (A/FMOs), and auditors as required to identify and resolve finance issues. Provide support and guidance on financial aspects of legal agreements.
- Ensures the financial data integrity of Umoja and the controls that underpin them.
- Reviews UNEP financial statements and provides authoritative advice to UNEP Senior Management including financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget management and financial administration of resources. Proven analytical skills and ability to provide technical advice in budget management to managers. Ability to manage a programme in a field operation and formulate new strategies and approaches to budget management issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; Does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- JUDGEMENT/DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) or equivalent is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Extensive experience in implementing and applying IPSAS standards is required.
- Experience with preparing annual financial statements for large international organisations is required.
- Experience with use of finance modules in ERP system to perform analysis and produce reports is desirable.
- Experience with developing and reviewing financial and legal arrangements with project implementing partners is desirable.
Closing: 10 August 2022
How to apply
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.