Latest Recruitment at Canonical, ICT / Computer, Technology Related Jobs, New Job Openings,
Telco Cloud Field Engineer
The role of a Telco Field Engineer at Canonical
- The telco industry is moving to software-defined services. This transformation is driven by open source software, cloud computing and the move to VNF / CNF approaches. Canonical Ubuntu is a key platform for telco innovation, and we are growing our team of specialists who work in the industry to accelerate the change.
- Canonical enables operators and communications service providers to embrace this new world, with a focus on platforms such as Ubuntu, OpenStack, and Kubernetes, and reusable, high quality automation for operations at scale.
- As part of the Canonical Field Engineering organization, you will lead customers through the design and delivery of OpenStack, Kubernetes, and software-defined networking solutions. Your passion for open-source technologies will enable customers to understand and operate advanced infrastructure substrates to meet the demands of 5G and beyond.
- Location: Remote-based, East Coast USA, Canada and EMEA
What your day will look like
- Match customer requirements to advanced capabilities in the VNF/CNF/NFVi/NFVO/VNFM/VIM/MEC space
- Provide technical pre-sales consulting to Service Provider teams
- Design and implement telco-grade open source multi-tenant private clouds and micro clouds
- Investigate, report and/or fix software defects uncovered during customer deployments
- Demonstrate advanced Infrastructure as code (IaC) techniques relevant to telco
- Architect and implement advanced, resilient Service Provider Cloud and Application solutions
- Design and deliver software defined infrastructure with OpenStack, Kubernetes, MAAS and Ceph
- Learn model-driven operations with Juju charms for Kafka, Hadoop, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, NGINX, and more
- Help customers adopt advanced Bare Metal, Public, Private and Hybrid Cloud solutions
- Learn from customer engagements and drive meaningful product improvements
- Shape our roadmap to accelerate our growth in the telco market
What we are looking for in you
- Python software development experience
- A thorough understanding of the telco NFVi (VIM), NFVO, VNFM and MEC space
- Technical understanding of key telco technologies like CPU Pinning, NUMA, SRIOV, DPDK, etc
- A thorough working understanding of the architectures and infrastructure of MNOs and CSPs
- Working knowledge of Mobile Packet Core, Radio, VAS, OSS/BSS
- Understanding of best practices for open source technology in telco virtualisation
- Working knowledge of Linux, Openstack and Kubernetes networking
- A passion to automate and improve all aspects of open source products and tooling
- Ability to lead complex projects from start to finish
- A collaborative attitude with a keen eye on customer success
- Excellent communication and presentation abilities
- Able to travel up to 50% of the time for events, customer meetings, project delivery
Engineering Manager, Sustaining Software Engineering, Worldwide
What your day will look like
- Manage and lead a distributed team of engineers
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
- Manage shift scheduling, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and training
- Support timely delivery of bug fixes, patches, and other technical solutions to address business needs in a variety of technology fields, including but not limited to Ubuntu, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Collaborate with other teams in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 10% for internal and external events
What we are looking for in you
- Professional software delivery experience using C, C++, Go, Java, Python, or similar
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- Leadership experience displaying ability to organise and prioritise complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- Experience with version control systems such as git
- Experience with debugging tools such as gdb, crash or other
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written
- Experience with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- Experience with Open Source and Open Source Business Models
- People management experience in a support organisation is a strong plus
- You have interest and deep experience with three or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux – kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrable experience of work on modern web applications
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience with responsive user interfaces for a wide range of devices and browsers
- Experience with Git or other version control systems
- Awareness of SEO best practice
- Consideration of accessibility in all aspects of your work
- A strong understanding of web performance in complex user interfaces
- Ability to interact with UX, designers and server-side developers
- Curiosity about technology and a thirst to learn
- Based in EMEA timezones (Europe, the Middle East and Africa)
- University degree or equivalent education
Useful experience if you have it
- Familiarity with Linux desktop technologies
- Server-side languages, such as Python or NodeJS
- Experience working on a large scale React (with TypeScript) project
- A history of open source contributions
- Relevant work experience
Who you are
- We want a Web Developer who loves what they do. You are passionate about web standards and keep abreast of new developments in our industry. You always look for opportunities to improve your skills. You like to show off what you’re working on and also learn from others. You have strong attention to detail and value the design of a product as much as you value the code. You have strong communication skills and maybe even blog once in a while. You’re aware of the latest CSS techniques but also know the limitations that developing for a broad audience can bring – actually, you embrace the challenge.
In this team
- You’ll help maintain existing projects including updating content and adding new pages
- You’ll manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other people as necessary
- You’ll ensure the standard of our output remains high and consistent across our whole product portfolio
- You’ll ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with our web style guide
- You’ll participate in and contribute to our living style guide, Vanilla Framework.
- Work closely with UX designers and visual designers to implement exemplary user experiences.
What we offer
- An opportunity to help shape a company and products with a strong influence in the open source community
- An inclusive work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX designers to copywriters
- Learning and development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Senior Web Engineer
- The Web and design team works as a multidisciplinary inclusive team with world-class user researchers, UX designers, visual designers and web engineers. We work collaboratively with many teams and roles across the organisation including product managers and other engineering teams.
- Senior Web Engineer’s help drive best practices across the team, for all disciplines, bringing great ideas to the table to lead technical conversations. They identify risks and communicate them to relevant stakeholders, asking the right questions to move a project forward. Within the team there are fantastic opportunities to gain deep technical knowledge of complex products in innovative and fast-growing areas of the tech world with space and support to hone your craft. We value transparency, intellectual honesty and teamwork.
What you will do:
- Learning and teaching: Coaching, mentoring and providing feedback to more junior members of the team, while always developing yourself.
- Ownership: Plan and manage progress on agreed goals and projects.
- Communication: You’ll manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other people as necessary.
- Standards: You’ll ensure the standard of our team’s output remains high and consistent across our whole product portfolio.
- Consistency: You’ll ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with our design system.
- Culture: Foster a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values.
- Collaboration: Work closely with UX designers and visual designers to implement exemplary user experiences.
- Celebrate: Celebrate success with your team, and learn from mistakes.
- Love what you do.
Who you are