Legal Officer III at Kenya Power,
Legal Officer III at Kenya Power
Kenya Power owns and operates most of the electricity transmission and distribution system in the country and sells electricity to over 4.8 million customers (as at June 29, 2016). The Company’s key mandate is to plan for sufficient electricity generation and transmission capacity to meet demand; building and maintaining the power distribution
Legal Officer III
Job Ref: HR: KP1/5B.2/1/3/1170
Reporting to the Senior Legal Officer in Legal, Regulatory Affairs & Company Secretary Division, the Legal Officer III will be responsible for Legal, Regulatory and Company Secretarial Services and supporting the management on all
related legal matters concerning the Company.
The key tasks & duties for the position include;
- Provide legal advice to all departments of the Company in various areas including but not limited to commercial and corporate transactions for protection of the Company’s interests.
- Liaise with Company advocates and ensure efficient and proper provision of legal advice and consultancy services.
- Draw, negotiate, vet and ensure execution of contracts and agreements emanating from all departments of the Company.
- Ensure conditions under the contract are strictly adhered to.
- Conduct legal research and analysis on various areas of law as may be assigned from time to time.
- Prepare and file legal documents at court registries, such as plaints, statements of defenses, response to claims, appeals, list of documents and witnesses, witness statements, bundle of documents, applications, etc.
- Represent the Company in courts (Superior and Subordinate Courts), tribunals, and before government agencies
- Oversee the work of support staff, such as legal assistants, legal clerks and Legal Secretaries to enable efficient delivery of services.
- Prepare reports and maintain the records of the Company with respect to the department to enable monitoring and reporting to the management.
- Appointment Specification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized Institution.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a valid practicing certificate.
- Minimum of four (4) years post admission experience in a busy law firm or public/commercial entity.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing
- Proficiency in computer applications.