Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (LEWA)
Position: Workshop Manager
Location: Isiolo, Meru / LEWA
Reporting to: Works and Logistics Manager
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (LEWA) is a not-for-profit organization, which works as a catalyst for the conservation of wildlife and its habitat.
LWC does this through the protection and management of species, the initiation and support of community conservation and development programmes and the education of neighboring areas in the value of wildlife.
More information about the organization can be found at www.lewa.org
JOB PURPOSE: Provide efficient and reliable transport services to support conservancy operations through proper management of the workshop activities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The job holder’s duties and responsibilities are outlined as follows:
- Provide detailed input for quotations, planning and reviews of all workshop projects.
- Implement systems and upgrade the current standards of the workshop.
- Determine the work prioritization and task allocation for all workshop tasks.
- Oversee the work of workshop staff so that appropriate information, instruction, training, and guidance are provided when required.
- Ensure the efficient running of the workshop.
- Allocate work and support workshop staff in the most efficient and effective way.
- Oversee all the workshop functions including the staff and premises.
- Monitor vehicle tracking systems where applicable and liaise with the service provider so as to ensure the systems work seamlessly.
- Ensure all drivers follow the Road Laws of Kenya and are correctedreprimanded when required.
- Ensure that all Lewa departments and other stakeholders’ transport requests are fulfilled.
- Identify and report recurrent problems with vehicles to the logistics manager.
- Supervise vehicle repair and maintenance work to pre-determined standards, to ensure the workshop meets its obligations to provide vehicles which are safe, reliable and legal in accordance with the Road Traffic Acts.
- Keep a close check of vehicle inspection dates and ensure that all Lewa vehicles are inspected on time and are adorned with the correct certificates and stickers etc.
- Ensure that all vehicles carry the correct items required by law such as a first aid box and fire extinguisher etc.
- Complete records for all vehicles and equipment maintained, to ensure the efficiency and accountability of the Workshop.
- Maintain specialist equipment and tools to ensure they are available for immediate use.
- Ensure that workshop tools and equipment inventories are kept up to date and there is no disappearance of toolsequipment.
- Observe safe working practices to comply with the requirements of Health and Safety legislation.
- Ensure that recycling procedures are followed and that the scrap metal bay is clean and tidy and that materials are moved on when required.
- Ensure that all “old” parts are either disposed of or stored neatly in the old spare containers.
- Maintain a preventative maintenance program for the vehicle fleet and in doing so ensure that kilometers covered are collected weekly for all vehicles under Sage reports.
- Ensure adherence to the safety regulations and workshop practices in regard to the Factory Act.
- Ensure that all plant, tools & Equipment are kept in good working condition.
- Ensure that all non-Lewa department jobs are charged accordingly using the correct procedures.
- Ensure all records of vehicle repairs and maintenance are kept in the prescribed order.
- Act as a liaison person for NRT, KWS and Kenya Police when they bring their vehicles for repair at the workshop.
- Ensure that we maintain a close working relationship with our stakeholders such as NRT.
- In conjunction with the Logistics Manager ensure that the roads team keeps to their maintenance schedules and that roads and airstrips are kept to a good standard.
- Participate in the preparation of the workshop budget; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
The job holder must possess:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 4 years’ experience managing an automotive workshop.
- Knowledge in Automotive systems (vehicle layout, function, and location of parts).
- Knowledge of mechanical issues, warranties, service and general repairs.
- Knowledge of the same tractors, farming, and commercial diesel machinery.
- Organization ability.
- Technically competent with the ability to train others.
- Experience in monitoring fleet trackingmanagement systems.
- Many years of experience in Excel, Word and other relevant computer systems.
To apply send your CV to email@example.com or at ats.flexi-personnel by 1st November 2022.
Indicate Workshop Manager as the email subject.
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.