Logistics Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF),
Logistics Manager at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
MÃ©decins sans frontiÃ¨res (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases.
Objective of the Position:
Planning, coordinating and monitoring all logistics related activities in the project or capital and providing support to medical assistance activities, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
Tasks & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Assisting the Project Coordinator in the definition and follow-up of logistics activities in the project, in conjunction with other medical project managers in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the targeted population
- Ensuring and monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the project including the following:
- Logistics: (construction, transport of goods and staff, communications, water and sanitation, vehicles and engines, equipment/installation and infrastructures, communications, installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities for international staff in adequate living conditions)
- WHS: implementation of water, health and sanitation activities
- Supply: implementation and maintenance of an appropriate supply chain for the project
- Implementing all administrative related activities linked to logistics (orders, insurances, vehicle contracts, etc.).
- Participating in the planning and implementation, together with the Project Coordinator, the Logistics Coordinator, the HR Coordinator and the Project Admin Manager, the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the logistics staff in the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities.
- Ensuring technical reference for all logistics/technical issues in the project and providing coaching to logistics staff under his/her responsibility. Ensuring all staff in the Project is properly briefed about use of communication tools (handsets, HF/VHF, etc.).
- Defining and monitoring technical aspects of the project risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the project security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, performing day-to day monitoring of the application of security rules and reporting to the Project Coordinator any problem that may arise.
- Participating in the development of the project strategy and budget, on an annual basis and at time of mid-year review, done within the project proposal during MAP time mainly (Mise à Plat)
- Manage the logistics budget through monitoring and review, done in conjunction with the Admin Manager and the Project Coordinator, with support of Logistics Coordinator
- Is responsible to submit the monthly cash requests to Admin Manager for the needs of the logistics activities
- Managing the mission Eprep stock based in Homa-Bay, in consultation with Logistics Coordinator
- Can be detached at any time for field assessments and/or project implementation related to emergency responses
- Ensuring logistics support in the MoH premises where MSF is working, based on the MSF-MoH collaboration and MSF team decision (maintenance, rehabilitation, WatSan, electrical and biomedical equipment mainly)
- Actively interact with the Mission Technical Specialists (Biomed, Energy, IT/ Comms) and Regional technical Referents to implement their recommendations and guidance on technical families in the project
- Ensuring thorough application of Supply Chain processes and stock management through the proper use of ERP Unifield.
- Ensuring the Log BASICS are implemented and re-evaluated on a 6-monthly basis. Logistics key indicators are followed monthly and all the logistics tools are put to good use to analyse and criticize the efficient functioning of project logistics activities
- Ensuring proper workflow and good communication with JMW (Joint Mechanical Workshop) and SKID (Supply Kenya Intersectional Department), which are the 2 main logistics intersectional entities based in Nairobi
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education and technical diploma or technical university degree, preferably as an engineer.
- Any other relevant certificate
- Two (2) years of experience in humanitarian logistics with MSF or other NGOs, and working experience in developing countries.
- Possess technical expertise in one or more logistics domains.
- Desirable: Exposure working in emergencies
- People Management and Development
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Stress management
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate). Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file by 26th January 2023 and mentioning on the subject email line, “Logistics Manager-Homabay” to: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org