Manager Human Resources at Evidence Action
Manager Human Resources- East & Southern Africa Region (ESA)
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global non-profit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator. Manager Human Resources at Evidence Action
We do development differently.We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation. Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
Evidence Action is looking for a seasoned HR professional with experience managing projects & activities in a multi – country, multi – cultural context. The HR Manager will lead all HR’s practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented high performance culture emphasizing quality, productivity, goal attainment and empowerment and is responsible for the development of processes and reporting metrics that support the achievement of the organization’s goals.
They will be responsible for creating, managing and executing various HR projects to standardize and strengthen HR practice across the region, as well as setting up new processes and tools to support new country entry and integration.
The Manager, HR will play an integral role in overseeing delivery of HR activities associated with anticipated growth in the Africa Region. Reporting to the Regional HR lead, the incumbent will work closely with the sub – hub regional Directors, Africa regional leadership and In-country HR representatives as well as requisite Global teams to ensure on – time and high-quality delivery of HR initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support Africa Regional leadership in creating a culture of transformational leadership, strategically aligned regional culture and engaged regional workforce.
- Coordinate the execution of employee satisfaction surveys on an annual basis and leverage the results to enhance staff and organizational well-being.
- Lead the people & culture function in developing a vibrant and empowering culture that supports and enables the execution of Evidence Action’s strategy.
- Manage annual performance management process across the East & Southern Sub-region (ESA) which includes; – annual objective setting, mid- year performance reviews, 360 reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Spearhead daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department across (ESA) East & Southern sub-regional areas including recruitment & selection, onboarding, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices.
- Plan, coordinate and execute HR projects across the region including tracking and reporting on status, risks, issues and dependencies.
- Spearhead HR research & reporting into new country entry e.g. employment laws, salary surveys, statutory requirements, HR best practice.
- Manage HR consultants engaged to support new country entry.
- Keep abreast with and understand the HR risk environment, identify and report any potential risks to new country entry & across the region.
- Devise, own and operationalize the HR Project plan.
- Work closely with Regional HR lead to coordinate HR process improvement activities across HR operations.
- Ensure consistency in HR practices & policy application across all countries in the region and spearhead improvements as needed.
- Participate in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of HR objectives.
- Provide day-to-day technical advice & guidance on employee relations and performance management matters to staff and management in accordance with the prevailing employment laws and internal policies and procedures.
- Advise and act on disciplinary matters in accordance with the Employment laws and established policies and procedures including Termination of Appointment.
- Support in developing materials for the effective management of employees for Managers/supervisors.
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for identifying, planning, delivering and measuring learning and development.
- Manage a training plan that details required training that is delivered within the agreed/specific timescales and ensure outcomes are appropriately measured and reported on.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time.
Normal/Office based. The official working hours are 8:00am to 5:00 pm from Monday to Friday.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Humanities, Sociology or a related field. Additional HR certification such as CHRP will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 7 years HR generalist experience.
- Project management experience – experience managing human resources functions during a growth phase is desired.
- Multi country, multicultural work experience is required.
- Ability to build and execute short- and long-term work plans.
- Demonstrable knowledge of good and dynamic HR practices in employee relations and performance management.
- Good understanding of employment legislation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound knowledge of HR best practices.
- Technologically proficient in use of technology to communicate effectively & professionally.
- Excellent analytical and data management skills.
- Results oriented and strong attention to details.
- Passionate, highly self – motivated, energetic and enthusiastic team player.
- Membership to IHRM is required.
- INGO experience will be an added advantage.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Kenya.