ICT / T4D Coordinator
Requisition number: ICTT4002914
Location: Nairobi, KE-30 1186800100, KEN
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action- helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and in the future.
To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong.
We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps (MC) has been present in Kenya since 2008 and has to date built a robust and diverse portfolio of programs working to enable Kenyans affected by poverty, resource scarcity and conflict – in particular the youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities – to be healthy, productive and to drive peace and development of their communities.
To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen resilience, market and governance systems, and address the root causes of conflict.
Mercy Corps Kenya (MCK) also collaborates with neighboring countries to implement a number of multi-country and cross-border programs.
The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the operations functions.
The overriding objective for the Operations Department is the prompt and effective provision of support services to MC beneficiary populations in compliance with both MC and Donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
General Position Summary
The primary role of ICT/T4D Coordinator is to oversee and maintain all aspects of a MCK (Head/Regional office in Nairobi and all field offices) ICT Systems/infrastructure and effective programs to deliver programmatic impact through the savvy application of technology.
This includes maintaining networks, servers and security programs and systems.
The ICT/T4D Coordinator manages the upgrade and installation of new hardware and software, perform troubleshooting to address any problems with computer systems, and assess viruses and potential threats to the organization network.
S/he supports the use of email accounts, create and change passwords, make suggestions for improvements to computer systems, backup data and perform data recovery if needed.
Additionally, S/he is responsible for promoting the use of ICT within MC through research, training, webinars, how-to guides and by building and managing an active ICT4D community of practice among team members.
The ICT/T4D Coordinator will coordinate with the Regional IT System Administrator, Regional ICT4D, Operations Director and other designated persons.
Essential Job Responsibilities
ICT Systems Administration
- Read and understand the MC IT Systems Policy on appropriate use. Orient staff on appropriate use and monitor user activities to ensure adherence to these policies.
- Conduct staff training on computer basics and the use of office applications and the use of the existing networks. Assist, as needed, with developing applications or databases for program and operational staff.
- Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
- Regularly update anti-virus programs and ensure the entire network and computers are virus-free.
- Ensure the Global IT Policy and IT Disaster Recovery plan is in place and implemented, coordinate with Internal Auditors on IT audit and compliance requirements.
- Under the guidance of the Regional IT Systems Administrator, undertake the repairing and maintaining of LAN-s, Managing Cisco Meraki Appliances, internet systems, and general IT maintenance and training– as per needs outlined by the Head of Offices and Operations Director.
- Oversee repair of computers and IT equipment at a local level, when possible – facilitate and advise on best, safest and most economical solutions in consultation with the Regional IT Systems Administrator.
- Maintain an efficient Local Area Network for MCK offices. Current designs are appropriate for the programmatic needs for the country office and any additions or changes require planning and prior approval by Regional IT Systems Administrator and Operations Director.
- Identify equipment and accessories required for the smooth functioning of computers and IT equipment in MC offices. Facilitate the purchase of items through the Procurement Team.
- Manage the creation and deactivation of staff email addresses as requested by HR department
- Assist in administration functions as needed; assist logistics staff in inventorying and tracking of ICT assets.
- Assist in identifying specifications, relocation, and assembly of any equipment including computers, printers, and accessories in all offices, as required.
- Collaborate with other African and Global IT Administrators in Knowledge sharing and support.
- Ensure that the Local or Online backup system is running smoothly by conducting regular backup checks and offsite backup for Local backup systems or make sure that staff store MC data on their Online backup account for an Online backup system.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to MC and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Technology for Development
Improve the effectiveness of MCK programming through the application of ICT by:
- Co-designing and co-implementing technical solutions with field teams, program design teams, and proposal developers.
- Providing remote implementation kick-off and ongoing support to field teams for simple projects.
- Providing direct in-the-field implementation support for complex projects.
- Working with senior leadership, field leadership, and dedicated local and regional actors to design and implementation of advanced and innovative technological solutions to key problems.
- Designing, developing, and managing a T4D community of practice among program and technical staff, and open to all interested team members.
- Developing and delivering trainings, webinars, how-to’ and other guides on key topics of T4D design and implementation to technical and program teams.
- Assessing and recommending T4D tools, services, vendors, and other partners for use by program teams.
- Working with T4D tool and service vendors to iterate and improve their offerings for MCK use.
- Engaging with the broader T4D community including NGO and impact focused technology companies and peer agencies to keep informed on key developments in the field
- Tracking key advances in technology and innovative applications to keep fresh and updated on latest developments.
- Understand emerging technology trends and potential organizational impacts.
- ICT Assistant
- Reports Directly To: Director of Operations
- Works Directly With: Program Leads, Chief of Parties, and Head of Offices.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in information technology systems (IT).
- A relevant university degree in computer sciences is desirable.
- Experience in both hardware and software requirements in local area networking (LAN); experience in the configuration of an internal email system as per the local area networking (LAN).
- Good knowledge of Managing Cisco Meraki Appliances, a good understanding of firewall, traffic shaping and proxy, G Suite, M365, TCPIP settings, Linux and Windows applications.
- Good experience in managing ICT4D projects in field offices.
- Experience for upright maintenance of all internet account, Logins and account status.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot, plan and design low maintenance systems is a must.
- Ability to troubleshoot and maintain both wireless and cable connections is required.
- Must understand, follow and implement existing policies on IT equipment use and best practices.
The ideal candidate will be able to recognize promising concepts and lead their development into full-fledged technology implementations at scale.
S/he will have the capacity to spark innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to programming and to inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs.
Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to details.
S/he will be an excellent communicator, able to demystify technology to team members with less technical familiarity.
Willingness and ability to interact and work effectively as part of a team and coordinate with cross-functional teams is essential.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC.
We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.