Operations Director at Heifer International,
Operations Director at Heifer International
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations / View Jobs at Heifer International
Heifer International’s mission is to work with communities to end world hunger and poverty and to care for the Earth. Dan West was a farmer from the American Midwest and member of the Church of the Brethren who went to the front lines of the Spanish Civil War as an aid worker.
- The Operations Director oversees the Country’s ongoing operations and procedures. As a vital senior management team member, the Operations Director reports directly to the Senior Director, Program Operations, with a dotted reporting line to the Country Director to which S/He is assigned from time to time. He/she establishes policies that promote the institution’s culture and vision through its operations. The Operations Director is responsible for ensuring operational efficiency, including maintaining control of diverse activities and programs and establishing and following a set of policies and processes across the Africa Region.
- In addition, the Operations Director leads team members and encourages maximum performance and dedication. The successful candidate must maintain the highest level of integrity and lead by example in all areas.
- The role may be located in any of the following countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Malawi, Senegal, Uganda, Rwanda or Zambia.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
- Ability to apply a strategic mindset, business insight, and organizational savvy to drive results in complex environments. Ability to collaborate, communicate effectively, instill trust and demonstrate self-awareness. Ability to build effective teams and to be resourceful. Ability to provide effective leadership and drive team spirit.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Country Office and temporarily perform the duties of the office of the Country Director when he/she is unable or unavailable.
- Develop, in collaboration with the Senior Director Program Operations, the Country Director, and the senior management team, an annual operating plan that supports the Country Office’s long-term operations strategy.
- Provide timely and candid updates of the Country’s operations and progress towards achieving set goals, including material deviations from the goals or objectives and policies established.
- Ensure open communication, timely issue resolution, and effective project development.
- Provides timely, accurate, and complete reports on the operating condition of the Country Office.
- Foster a culture that promotes ethical practices, and service and encourages individual integrity.
- Maintain a positive and ethical work climate that is conducive to attracting, retaining and motivating a diverse group of team members at all levels.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the Country Office.
- Coordinate the Country’s sustainable strategies and manage principal operating risks, such as proposals, projects, and staffing.
- Assist the Senior Director Program Operations in ensuring that there is an effective succession plan in place for the Country Director position and other key management positions of the Country Office.
- Work collaboratively to develop and/or improve systems, processes, controls, and procedures that will enhance the overall efficiency of the Country Office.
- Assist the Country Director in establishing and maintaining an appropriate organizational structure.
- Perform other functions related to the office of the Operations Director, including requests from the Senior Director, Program Operations / Country Director.
- Bachelor’s degree plus fifteen (15) years of job-related experience.
- Extensive experience in operations management in International Development or Multinational organizations.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- At least Seven (7) years in management.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Excellent mastery of accounting practices with experience in grants management.
- Familiarity with the operational procedures at all levels of the organization.
- A strong analytical and data-driven mindset that translates into leadership skills.
- Ability to inspire team members to live up to their potential and optimize their productivity.
- Sound decision-making and problem-solving skills in pressure situations.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Proven experience in senior management roles or a similar and relevant role.
- Possesses exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills, since diverse functions report to them and the smooth interworking is critical with high emotional and social intelligence.
- Communicates passionately, effectively, and persuasively across a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, coach, and develop others.
- Relentlessly pursues improvement and results. Flexible, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate the high level of responsibility and multiple priorities. Creates a culture of mutual accountability.
- Analyzes and problem-solves at a highly developed level. Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail are critical to success.