Partnerships & Communications – Associate Officer Vacancy at Bioversity International.
Partnerships & Communications – Associate Officer Vacancy at Bioversity International
Partnerships & Communications -Associate Officer
FULL TIME | ALLIANCE BIOVERSITY & CIAT | KENYA
The Partnerships and Communications unit is seeking an Associate Officer with expertise in fundraising proposals. The position is integral to the Science Engagement and Resource Mobilization team, as the Associate Officer will directly support Alliance researchers in accomplishing their fundraising objectives. The position will report directly to the Head of Science Engagement and Resource Mobilization, with a secondary reporting line to the Research Area (Lever) Directors. The core responsibilities involve assisting the research programs in identifying and pursuing fundraising opportunities, actively participating in cultivation and stewardship initiatives, providing essential procedural guidance for proposal preparation, maintaining a close collaboration with the team throughout the proposal development process, and extracting insights from both successful and unsuccessful proposals to drive continuous improvements in the Alliance’s fundraising success rate.
In the execution of their duties, the Associate Officer will maintain close collaboration with various support units, including Finance, Legal, and the Office of Program Delivery (OPD). This collaboration aligns with the Alliance’s Proposal Development Process (PDP), which is overseen by the Pipeline Management Team.
This is a hybrid working position for the operations center of África, located in the office of Nairobi, Kenya.
Key duties & responsibilities
- Support the implementation of resource mobilization (RM) action plans for up to two Alliance Research Areas (Levers) per Officer, ensuring a global reach in fundraising efforts.
- Provide Principal Investigators (PI) and their collaborators with strategic and procedural guidance on key funding opportunities, enhancing their ability to secure resources effectively.
- Serve as the process manager for the preparation of prioritized funding opportunities within each Lever, especially those of higher complexity that require meticulous coordination.
- Ensure seamless coordination with key stakeholders during proposal preparation, including but not limited to:
o Lever Program Management Officers (PMOs) for cross-lever and cross-team collaboration.o The OPD Proposal Enhancement team for comprehensive proposal review.o The Project Financial Analysis and Support (PLANS) team for thorough budget review.o Regional Partnerships Officers for the cultivation and management of in-country partners related to the proposal.o The Global Partnerships Team for specific revenue stream insights, cultivation str ategies, stewardship practices, intelligence, and prospecting expertise is vital for the proposal.
- Collaborate with Global Partnerships Advisors and Regional Partnerships Officers to support scientists engaged in engaging with funders, track these interactions in the CRM system (to be developed), and nurture productive relationships.
- Work with the Head of Science Engagement and Resource Mobilization, the PI, other contributing scientists, and the Proposal Enhancement team to systematize lessons learned from both successful and unsuccessful proposals, aiming to enhance future proposal preparation and success rates.
- Share knowledge, insights, and priorities with Science Communications Associate Officers to strengthen the symbiotic relationship between resource mobilization and external communications
- Provide research and timely analytical input in support of services or projects.
- Responsible for fulfilling a work plan for a service or project.
- Coordinate with the PI, Lever Directors, Global and Regional Partnerships teams, OPD Proposal Enhancement team, and Pipeline Management Team throughout proposal preparation, funder cultivation, and stewardship activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of detailed analysis and guidance notes for calls ≥ $1 million.
- Utilize available intelligence and opportunity analysis to assist the PI and their team in making informed go/no-go decisions regarding pursuing funding opportunities, considering factors such as past engagement with the funder, thematic alignment, and existing relationships with key funder contacts.
- Engage with other support functions, namely Finance, OPD, and the Legal Office, in support of proposal preparation and submission, following the guidance of the Pipeline Management Team and adhering to the proposal development process (PDP).
- Collaborate with the OPD Proposal Enhancement Team, the PI, and the Head of Science Engagement and Resource Mobilization to assess the success or failure of key proposals.
- Draft written guidance notes for calls ≥$1 million that allow for multiple Alliance submissions, with support from the Head of Science Engagement and Resource Mobilization.
- Assist in developing funder cultivation and stewardship actions, providing support to Lever Directors and proposal PIs when necessary.
- Lead effective and efficient process management for the preparation of prioritized funding opportunities, coordinating closely with the respective proposal PI.
- Contribute to “learning” exercises regarding proposal success and failure to inform and improve future proposal preparation processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural, environmental, or biological sciences, international development, business administration, science communications, or related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven experience and successful track record in resource mobilization/research proposal development in agriculture, environment, rural development,and/or natural or social sciences.
- Demonstrated practical experience in project management and data analysis.
- Proven track record in the preparation of large, complex, technical proposals (≥US$2 million), whilst working with multi-disciplinary teams in international settings.
- Experience with developing and deploying funder cultivation and stewardship strategies.
- Experience preparing analyses, guidance notes, or advisory/educational materials.
- Familiarity with the Alliance’s mission and goals (or ability to quickly gain this knowledge).
- Skilled in handling and use of virtual tools and applications.
- Excellent management of Microsoft Office package.
- Advanced level of English (oral and written).
Skills and competencies
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Consistent attention to detail.
- Strong results delivery focus.
- Pro activity and resourcefulness.
- Compliance with procedures, policies, and directives.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Flexibility and adaptation to change.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
This position is a nationally recruited position based in Nairobi Kenya. The initial contract will be for one year subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
This position is graded at BG08 level, in a scale of BG01 to BG14 (BG14 being the highest level according to the Alliance job classification framework policy). We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits including but not limited to insurance, retirement plan, staff training and development, paid time off and flexible working arrangements.
The Alliance Bioversity-CIAT is committed to fair, safe, and inclusive workplaces. We believe that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability statuses, sexual orientations, marital status, and gender identities. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications closing date: 24th October 2023
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about us