Job Title: Senior Automation Test Engineer
Team / Programme: IT Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract Length: Permanent
Child Safeguarding: Level 2 – either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
Role Purpose: The role will be instrumental in driving the increased availability, scope and capability of the automation tools and capabilities and thereby increasing the depth and efficiency of the testing function whilst reducing overhead.
The job holder will work within an agile environment to continuously test and deliver working software to customers within Organization (Organization and members).
The role will be responsible for implementation organization’s strategic vision of moving testing and QA towards automation within a DevOps environment.
This will involve exploring, assessing, and procuring the best fit automation tools that support continuous integration/development and you will promote continuous quality and testability of code throughout the software development lifecycle with a focus on API and Data Warehouse testing in an integrated environment of multiple applications.
The role will also hold the technical expertise for the automation tools, their configuration and operation and training rest of the test/development team.
It is highly desirable if the role holder also has experience in the non-functional testing domain such as load test, stress test, disaster recovery test and have an awareness of tools used for these.
This role must expect hands-on defining, generating and executing test scripts as required to fulfil the testing requirements and the expertise to set up automation from scratch.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Head of Testing and Quality Assurance
Staff reporting to this post: This role doesn’t have any reporting responsibilities.
Over 100 countries with a staff complement in excess of 18,000 of which at least 50% are considered users of IT systems across the organization (both within the organization and Members).
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Understanding and experience of using a variety of test automation tools within a DevOps environment
- Expertise in setting up automation testing framework and tools from scratch in an integrated environment of multiple applications
- Develop robust automated regression packs for organization applications and ensure they are regularly updated to reflect latest releases
- Expertise in setting up API automation testing and tools from scratch in an integrated environment of multiple applications
- Analysis of testing results to provide approval of release quality enabling the release to Live operation
- Responsible for reviewing the automation test results, flag any issues, perform root cause analysis and recommend improvements
- Monitoring of post release issues to ensure continuous improvement of release testing to minimize issues and errors identified post release
- Provide test engineering knowledge and capabilities to project and sprint teams including virtual test teams which may include 3rd parties
- Be the point of contact for the set up and running of automation, monitoring and performance testing tools
- Identify new opportunities to automate wherever possible and train other members of test team on automation tools
Skills and Behaviours (Organization’s Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling the organization’s values
- Holds team members and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for the organization, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Computing degree – BSc, BA or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Automation Test Framework and Tools
- Understanding of DevOps model and Agile
- ISEB/ISTQB Foundation Level Certification qualification or similar
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, IaC (Terraform, CloudFormation) and Azure would all be of benefit
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Automation Testing and working with different test tools.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience of working in/with DevOps environment and tools such as
Robotic Process Automation, Github etc.
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience in Micro services and API automation working in/with Dev
Ops environment and tools such as PostMan, Rest Assured etc
- Strong previous experience as a Automation Test Engineer writing and executing test plans in manual and automated test environments
- Ability to generate API documentation directly from the API testing tool
- Implementing test approaches for integration testing, Continuous Integration and Continuous release within an Agile environment
- Experience in working with test automation tools and frameworks for functional and non- functional testing – such as REST Assured, Jmeter, Selenium, Team City, Load Runner etc.
- Experience of working with performance NFRs (non-functional requirements) and carry out load and concurrency testing at application and integration level.
- Proficient in use of SQL scripting and other data technologies
- Ability to write and maintain automated regression packs for live applications
- Demonstrate high level of technical awareness and understanding of software architecture
- Experience of testing front (e.g. websites) and back end systems (e.g. database checking)
- Experience of managing issue tracking databases and prioritising issues for future release
- Adept in using JIRA and/or other tools for test and defect management
- Have a flair for learning systems working in an integrated environment
- A demonstrable an eye for detail, problem analysis and resolution skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in English – must be able to communicate at both a technical and non-technical level
- The ability to work independently and well under pressure
- Cultural awareness and experience of delivering solutions internationally
- The existing right to work in the UK
- Non-profit sector knowledge/experience
- Experience with testing applications hosted in cloud, particularly Microsoft Azure
- The ability to speak/write in languages other than English
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the organization’s Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the organization’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the organization’s anti-harassment policy
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder
may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience. Some degree of international travel maybe required.
How to Apply
Send your updated CV to email@example.com on or before 25th October 2022.
Kindly indicate the job title; Senior Automation Test Engineer; in the subject line of the email.
(Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted)