Genesis Analytics is a leading global African firm that has worked in more than 90 countries across the world. Our purpose is to unlock value in Africa for our clients and its citizens by helping them to make better decisions that are creative and optimistic, and sustainable and defensible over time.
We have forged relationships with government, regulators, corporates, banks, development finance institutions, law firms, foundations, NGOs as well as regional and international organisations including development agencies.
Our style of working is distinctive. We work collaboratively and with rigour. We like solutions that have a creative, practical bent. We aim to leave the individuals and institutions with whom we work stronger and more confident than they were before meeting us. We don’t pretend to have a lock on wisdom, but there is strength in our humility.
- Johannesburg, Cape Town, Nairobi, Lagos Abidjan, or Addis Ababa
PRACTICE AREA DESCRIPTION:
Our Health Practice collaborates with governments throughout Africa and with global development partners to improve health outcomes. The Practice has a team of experts with decades of experience in the design, implementation, and evaluation of health programmes and in the provision of analytical and advisory services that inform health policy and practice.
The Health Practice has 3 primary service lines, namely: 1) Research, monitoring and evaluation, 2) Health Financing and Economics and 3) Programme Implementation Support. More information about Genesis and the health practice can be viewed at https://www.genesis-analytics.com/.
The HFE Unit has a growing portfolio of high-profile projects that cut across the disciplines of sustainable financing, health costing, PFM reform and economic evaluations. Our clients include the Global Fund for HTM, the BMGF, USAID and UNICEF and we partner with a number of leading international organisations to implement large projects across the continent. This position will fulfil both a technical and leadership role in ensuring that the unit achieves its strategic objectives and entrenches Genesis as one of the leading health economics consultancies in Africa.
Our global African consultancy is seeking a highly skilled and experienced senior health economist with strong leadership, management, and technical skills to join our talented team in the Health Financing and Economics (HFE) unit. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to our portfolio of high-profile projects with global and country partners. As a Senior Health Economist, you will play a crucial role in shaping health policies and developing collaborative evidence-based solutions for some of Africa’s most pressing public health challenges.
KEY REQUIREMENTS & ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
The candidate should be an experienced consultant with an established professional network who is comfortable in working in a fast-paced environment and is able to professionally engage with role players at all levels. The consultant should be effective in managing a team of junior and senior consultants and able to take responsibility for the successful delivery of assignments, from design to close-out.
The candidate should have specialist experience in two or more of the following disciplines: Health financing, Health Public Financial Management, Health costing, Economic evaluations.
The successful candidate’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the leadership of the HFE unit in developing and executing its strategic and annual plans
- Provide management support to the Unit in managing junior consultants and building their capacity
- Oversee the successful implementation of complex consulting assignments, within budget, and dissemination of results to clients and other stakeholders
- Manage the implementation of multi-year donor grants and contracts
- Provide specialist technical services to projects
- Technical report writing and presentations
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL COMPETENCIES:
- PhD or Master’s degree in Health Economics
- Ideally based in Africa, but not a pre-requisite
- At least 7 to 10 years’ of relevant consulting experience
- Strong technical track record in health financing and economics projects
- Track record in working on projects funded by global bilateral development partners or multi-national agencies
- Decision modelling/ mathematical modelling and strong data analytical skills would be an advantage
- Confident to use own initiative and logic to problem-solving and demonstrates analytical and lateral thinking
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and demonstrate solid leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- High self-motivation
HOW TO APPLY:
- Our system is an easy tool to use, with a maximum of 10 single-line fields to complete and two compulsory document uploads.
- Please follow the online application process on the career portal of the Genesis website.
- Applications can only be made online – no other means of application will be accepted this is due to emails not being an application tracking system and data protection regulations.
- We use an automated applicant tracking system to receive and manage all applications in one central point. Therefore, we also do not accept any e-mailed CVs or applications set by other means.
- Please note that your application will primarily be considered for this role. If there are multiple roles that you are interested in, please submit your application as outlined in the opportunity description, as advertised roles each have role-specific own pools of applications.
- However, please do not apply for every role – at this level of professional consultancy, we expect that candidates will display some level of self-selection and awareness for which roles they qualify and apply for. Unqualified serial applications will be deleted, and such applicants will be removed from our database.
- Once you have applied via our career portal, you will receive a system-generated confirmation e-mail that your application was received.
- NOTE: Please be advised that uploaded documents/attachments cannot be bigger than 4MB in total, as the system will not accept your application if the uploaded documents exceed 4MB.
- Relevant previous experience is essential – at this level of professional consultancy, we expect that candidates will display some level of self-selection and awareness for which roles they qualify and apply for. Unqualified serial applications will be deleted, and such applicants will be removed from our database.
- Communication will be with short-listed candidates only – if you do not receive any feedback on your application within three weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Genesis Analytics reserves the right not to proceed with an appointment of any advertised role.
- All appointments will be made in line with Genesis Analytics’ Employment Equity Plan and Transformation Policies.
- All applications and associated candidate information will be treated confidentially.