Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Advisor at Plan International,
Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Advisor at Plan International
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children. The organisation was set up by British journalist John Langdon-Davies and refugee worker Eric Muggeridge in 1937, with the original aim to provide food, accommodation and education to children whose lives had been disrupted by the Spanish Civil War
Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Advisor
THE ROLE PURPOSE
- The role serves as the principle advisor for Plan Kenya’s integrated technical and programme advice in girl and youth focused sexual and reproductive health and rights. The incumbent will use policy and advocacy work to increase support from the Kenya government to enable the country make substantial progress in health with a primary focus on adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health ad rights.
- S/he will lead the program design, technical strategy, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning of Plan Kenya’s adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health rights (AYSRHR). Working with others, S/he will ensure highest level of technical quality of the SRHR program and related projects. The role plays a critical role in advancing Plan International’s SRHR strategy and will work closely with other advisors in the region and at the global hub to support Plan International’s SRHR program. This requires an individual who is passionate about SRHR, has sound technical knowledge and solid programmatic experience and an appetite for learning and sharing.
- The position will contribute to business development by supporting intelligence gathering, proposal development, advocacy and donor engagement to deliver on Plan Kenya’s bold ambitions for girls and youth in Kenya.
- The incumbent will drive intended results and outcomes for this area of work. Key to this will be the delivery of related strategies that contribute to the elimination of teenage pregnancies and harmful practices that prevent girls from thriving and achieving their full potential. The role will ensure that Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights issues are brought into the mainstream of health and development in the different local and national contexts.
- The role is critical in ensuring the protection and promotion of SRHR in emergency situations by addressing SRHR needs and well-being of affected populations and coordinating efforts to ensure the provision of essential SRHR services.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- A Bachelor’s degree in health sciences (Medicine, Public Health or any other related discipline;
- At least 7 years of demonstrable experience in adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health rights programs and services health programming, 3 of which must be in advisory/managerial role.
- Strong and up to date knowledge of adolescent development, policies, family planning and reproductive health principles, programme practices and strategies with proven and up to date knowledge in SRHR professional developments and related issues such as teenage pregnancies, child marriage, age responsive and comprehensive sexuality education as well as meaningful youth engagement in AYSRHR;
- Have wide range of experience in adolescent inclusive reproductive health programming and be recognized leader in this field with the ability to be strategic, while still being able to manage the day-to-day management of the SRHR
- Proven experience in providing technical assistance to complex SRHR and health programs
- Commitment to Plan Kenya’s position on promoting girls’ rights and gender equality and integrating all these aspects in their day to day work
- Knowledge of health programming issues in the Kenyan context.
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Passion for SRHR and a demonstrated commitment adolescent and youth SRHR, elimination of harmful cultural practices, and gender equality
- Knowledge of concepts and main debates related to the themes of sexual and reproductive health, rights, harmful practices and adolescence and young people.
- Demonstrated experience in coaching and mentoring staff on health interventions.
- Experience in designing and technical support/management of public health programme around ASRHR projects
- Good understanding of country health sector strategies.
- Demonstrable advocacy experience in national and county level health systems and structures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.