Position: Sub County Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Assistant
Supervisor: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor
Location: Migori and Homa Bay County, Kenya
No. required: 14 (5 in Migori and 9 in Homa Bay)
In 2021, USAID Kenya awarded Abt Associates, the Kenya Vector Control Activity, now renamed PMI Kinga Malaria.
It seeks to build on PMI investments under PMI AIRS and VectorLink.
The purpose of the project is to plan, implement, provide technical assistance for, monitor and evaluate critical malaria vector control activities.
This includes indoor residual spraying (IRS) and insecticide treated net (ITN) activities for prevention of malaria in Kenya.
The project has six objectives:
(1) indoor residual spraying and other proven vector control interventions,
(2) entomological monitoring and surveillance,
(3) ITN durability monitoring
(4) data driven decision making to inform strategic deployment of ITNs and IRS,
(5) capacity building of Kenya national malaria program and selected counties and
(6) continuous net distribution system in the community through multiple channels.
In 2023, Abt Associates shall implement IRS in Homa Bay and Migori Counties and in other counties thereafter as determined by USAID Kenya.
In close collaboration with the Division of National Malaria Program (DNMP), Migori and Homa Bay and Migori County governments, PMI Kinga Malaria seeks to recruit professionals in different fields to support in implementation of Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) in all the Eight sub-counties in Homa Bay county namely; Homa Bay Township (All wards), Rangwe (All wards), Suba South (Ruma Kaksingri East ward only), Suba North (Mfangano island only), Rachuonyo South (All wards), Rachuonyo East (All wards), Ndhiwa (All except Kwabwai ward) and Rachuonyo North (All except Central Karachuonyo, Kibiri and Kanyaluo ward) and Four sub-counties in Migori county namely; Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike.
Overall Purpose: To support efficient data entry and ensure maintenance of high data quality services to PMI Kinga Malaria.
He/she will ensure timely data flow from the field to the data centers conduct active data verification and support sub county MEL reporting needs.
Under the overall supervision of the MEL Manager, he/she will work closely with the County based MEL team and County Coordinator to achieve desired results.
- Track the consumption of MEL tools including IRS stickers within the Sub County and alert County MEL Assistant
- Ensure data from the field captures defined variables and is accurately captured in the database.
- Work with the field teams to ensure data is verified at the data collection point before submission to the data center
- Mentor field teams on project indicators to ensure defined variables are understood and captured correctly
- Provide feedback to the field teams on data quality and follow up to ensure action istaken
- Work with the field teams to ensure data errors are acted upon in a timely fashion
- Participate and summarize reports of the weekly Sub County meetings
- Ensure timely reporting on IRS related coverage situations
- Support mhealth reporting as desired within the Sub County in collaboration with the IT assistant
- Adhere to PMI Kinga Malaria MEL COVID19 guidelines
Required qualifications and experience:
- Training at degree level in biostatistics, Statistics, public health, epidemiology or IT related course with experience in MEL and or research.
- 1 year experience desirable in data entry and supervision of data teams
- 1 year experience in an MEL role will be a plus
- Additional professional training in MEL will be an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and database software.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications.
- Willingness to travel by motorbike within the area of coverage while on duty
- Willingness to reside within the Sub County
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work for 6 days in a week (Monday to Saturday)
NB: All positions that involves a worker coming into close contact with insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests.
Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for alternative roles they qualify for.
NB: These positions will be on a short-term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. All qualified applicants including minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to Kenyajobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and Operations Site e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – Wath Onger Dispensary’ by COB, Monday, October 31, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies.
Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.