Institution of Engineers of Kenya (IEK)
African Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation (AJERI)
The African Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation is published by the Institution of Engineers of Kenya through support from the Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK).
AJERI is a quality peer reviewed journal of engineering, research and innovation. It publishes articles from Africa and the rest of the world.
Job Title: Technical Editor
Job Purpose: The Technical Editor reports to the Editorial Board of the Institution of engineers of Kenya.
The Technical Editor will be responsible for overseeing an efficient publishing cost, the day-to-day operations, supervising editors, designers and writers, ensuring that publications are produced to acceptable engineering quality standards.
1. Editing articles, journals, technical reports and papers, and related documents as well as prepares copy for final production.
2. Editing and producing camera-ready copy of printed materials for publication
3. Overseeing production schedules to ensure completion by set deadlines.
4. Performs research in order to accurately edit, prepare, and produce technical documentation; maintaining appropriate databases and/or files.
5. Formatting and producing computer-generated forms, tables, and graphs; instructing others on
formatting and design methods.
6. Serving as a liaison between the Editorial Board and authors, printers, and/or publishers; as appropriate to the position, locates peer reviewers and mediates between peer reviewer and author.
7. Producing technical and scientific illustrations for presentations and/or publication, as appropriate to the requirements of the position.
8. Maintain databases and files including those used to track subscriptions and mailing lists.
9. Producing technical and non-technical documents such as grant proposals, manuscripts, articles,
course descriptions, reports, and correspondence.
10. Perform any other job-related duties as assigned by the Editorial Board.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
1. Masters Degree in Engineering
2. At least 3 years’ experience in technical editing and publishing.
1. Knowledge of editorial policies, practices and research techniques
2. Must have people skills; both to lead a team of employees and to build relationships with outside contacts
3. Must be a team player with ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve Organizational goals
4. Must have computer skills and the ability to keep up with new publishing and information-gathering technologies
5. An eye for detail with ability to spot errors and inconsistencies in a text.
How to Apply
All applications must include a cover letter and a resume which has at least three referees which should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28th October, 2022.
Please indicate your current and expected remuneration.
Due to the expected volume of applications,
IEK will only enter further correspondence with short-listed candidates.