Vacancies at World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF),
Vacancies at World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
The World Agroforestry Centre, is an international institute headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and founded in 1978. The Centre specializes in the sustainable management, protection and regulation of tropical rainforest and natural reserves.
Senior Compliance and Administrative Officer
- The position is to ensure that CIFOR ICRAF adheres to all the organizational, local and donor policies and procedures in the implementation of the Restore Africa project in the six countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia). The incumbent will support risk and compliance related activities for the Restore Africa Program including sub-recipient compliance adhering to CIFOR ICRAF policies, local laws, and donor regulations to help ensure effective high-quality program delivery. Provide administrative and operational support to the Restore Africa Project including partner liaison, event organizing and coordination, and development and monitoring of budgets and tracking project expenses. Provide administrative support to all project staff and assist Principal Investigator in coordination activities.
Duties and responsibilities
Compliance monitoring and management.
- Collaborate with the Restore Africa leadership and Finance and Cooperate services Units (PMU, Legal, Operations, FSU) and Internal Audit Unit on strengthening internal control systems and processes for the Restore Africa program across the six countries.
- Work in close collaboration with the Finance and Cooperate services Units (PMU, Legal, Operations, FSU) and Internal Audit Unit conduct regular internal control reviews to assess the effectiveness of controls in operations and program management systems and processes for the Restore Africa program in accordance with CIFOR ICRAF Policies and Procedures.
- Support the planning and performance of internal audits, control reviews and compliance assessments
- Support external and internal audits and the coordination of plans to close out audit findings and recommendations related to the Restore Africa program.
- Support internal investigation of reported potential and alleged incidents of incompliance to donor, and CIFOR ICRAF policies and procedures including collusion and financial wrongdoing.
- Support the design and facilitation of trainings and institutional capacity strengthening due diligence plans for Restore Africa staff and partners in consideration of donors’ requirements and partners’ systems and procedures.
Risk assessment and management.
- Updating the project risk register, and lessons learnt log.
- Support systems verification and identification of risk issues, weaknesses/ inefficiencies, anomalies, challenges, and propose solutions to address them and improve system integrity.
Technical and Financial Reporting.
- Support preparation of budgets, monitoring expenditure and provide regular updates to the Restore Africa project leadership and Finance Officer. · Support and facilitate the tracking of project action plans arising from reports and monitoring events. · Keeping track of country implementation work plans and reporting timelines. · Support and facilitate the production and submission of the environmental, social and governance and impact (ESG-I) quarterly reports and other donor due diligence documents
Planning and coordinating project events.
- Coordinating major project missions and including National Steering Committee Meeting preparations.
- Providing note-taking support during project meetings, site visits and events.
- Organizing and coordinating workshops, making travel arrangements and other related logistical arrangements.
- Providing administrative support to the project and guidance on contracting, purchasing and operational procedures and policies.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s in business administration, Project management or the equivalent with first degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, or other relevant disciplines.
- At least four years of work experience, ideally with an international organization, with progressive responsibility in project management, operations and/or programming.
- Experience in audit, compliance, or risk management desirable
- Knowledge of audit standards and compliance regulations and familiarity with international standards for internal control and risk and compliance management (e.g., COSO, ISO)
The application deadline is 23 Jul, 2023
GIS and Remote Sensing Specialist, Restore Africa Project
- The GIS and Remote Sensing Specialist will be a member of the CIFOR ICRAF Restore Africa Project Technical Support team supporting activities across the six countries. The incumbent will develop GIS and Remote Sensing tools and protocols for monitoring restoration, tracking trees and mapping areas under carbon development. The main deliverables will include digital spatial maps for site characterization, biophysical baselines, patterns, and trends, as well as developing and managing a digital library of geographic maps. The position aims to enable effective implementation of integrated restoration, livelihood and carbon projects including CIP, Genzero, and CAM funded projects being designed and in six countries in East and Southern Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia).
Duties and responsibilities
- Research Support
- Lead research interventions on digital spatial mapping and verification for project design and monitoring.
- Develop and maintain geospatial data in the cloud, on desktop and mobile applications.
- Ensure data meets appropriate data accuracy and content standards for quality assurance and quality control.
- Designing digital maps with geographic data and other data sources
- Producing maps showing the spatial distribution of various kinds of data, including tree planting.
- Carry out land use change and spatial analysis.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing, data visualizations.
Monitoring, evaluation and Reporting.
- Develop and implement GIS-based analyses supporting research monitoring evaluation and learning activities.
- Co-design and put up a geospatial database of the individual trees, in new planting and regeneration.
- Track and measure trees grown under the project and maintain a database for each country.
- Contribute to development of field data collection tools, field logistics and sampling strategies including spatial verification.
- Support field level data collection on biophysical and biodiversity assessments on selected farmers land/communal areas. characterize the farms/areas based on current land cover and land use characteristics.
- Supervise consultants and interns when they are brought on board.
- Plan and organize field data collection. ·
- Produce technical reports, journal papers, book chapters, policy briefs on subjects related spatial changes in forest -agriculture landscapes.
- Contribute to production of a baseline study and other monitoring report.
- Organize workshops, conferences on projects and grants, and training of the partners.
- Prepare papers, power points, posters, and other forms for presentation in the meetings, workshops, etc. 4.
Project development and fundraising.
- Contribute to resource mobilization and other fundraising efforts such as concept notes and proposals within the Africa Directorate.
Personal capacity development.
- Explore PhD studies and develop proposal.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Must have at least an MSc degree in GIS, geography, environmental studies, surveying computer science or related field with demonstrated capabilities in GIS and remote sensing.
- A PhD will be and adder advantage.
- Familiarity with GPS data collection and data management, including collector for ArcGIS and other GIS and RS software.
- Familiarity with standard cartographic methods, theories and principles.
- Ability to use and edit shapefiles and geodatabases (personal, file, and enterprise)
- Ability to work with vector and raster datasets.
- Hands-on knowledge of Esri ArcGIS desktop software, including ArcMap and ArcPro.
- Proficiency with database programming languages such as SQL, R or Python.
- Strong understanding of geodatabases and geodatabase applications.
- Seven (7) years’ relevant experience with three (3) years of supervisory experience in an agricultural or environmental organization
- Experience using ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Portal, or another web mapping system.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools.
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS and Carto.
- Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datum’s.
- Experience using Google Earth and KMZ files.
- Familiar with LiDAR datasets and usage
- Experience using Python, ModelBuilder or another common GIS scripting language is desirable,
- Experience in GIS / RS applications to NRM and Agroforestry is an advantage.
The application deadline is 27 Jul, 2023
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.